What are these called?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Giovanni, Jul 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

I think a bottle of pods a day is just a littleee over exaggerating. Mandy's in 20 gals can definitely be done. I really don't think its as hard as people say it is either. I've seem them kept in 10's successfully. Although, you just added him too soon. Take him back to the store, and have them hold him for you for a month or 2. In the mean time, seed your tank with a few bottles of pods, and allow them to multiply. Then, have a spot in your tank that the mandy can't get to. I have a little shower caddy deal stuffed with chaeto inside that I zip-tied with window screen to close out the top. Or a pile of live rock rubble will do. When you add the pods, inject them with a turkey baster or whatever into the rock pile, or whatever you end up doing. Add the little guy after a month or 2 and you'll be good. Then probably add another bottle of pods every month or so. If the mandarins belly starts to sink in, you'll know he's not doing well. If he's getting fat, your doing good.

BUT. As is, everyone's right. It'll die.

2. Click Here!

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Astrea Snail

Just an Update... The mandarin is doing great! Never bought the bottle of pods or anything. I assume he is eating the brine that I am throwing in there for he is still alive after all this time. looks like its getting fat too. weird little guy. likes to hang out in the corner and when my clowns swim by he chases them around for a few seconds then goes and hangs out under the heater. Thats pretty much his routine.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Astrea Snail

My farewell... Clearly something good is unacceptable

So as per my previous post... I believe my methods arent as radical as you would make them out to be. Taking things from the ocean isn't always illeagal. Size and quantity come into play... My tank has had a small bout with rd algae but other than that nothing really wrong with it. So, thank you everyone for helping out (those who did) and good day to the rest of you. I need a forum that will actually help out not act like they know it all. Thank you and good-bye 3Reef.

5. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I can almost guarantee that in four pages of posts this is what will stick out. The fish is going to die. It will not be alive come Thanksgiving. Let's not sugar coat anything. The tank just doesn't have the amount of pods needed to keep it alive. It's a common mistake many people make. This fish looks great at the fishstore and it's relatively cheap. I made the same mistake when I first started out too. I had to take it back to the LFS for a trade in.

6. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

This forum was nice compared to what "they" would say on a couple other ones. Minus your LFS, you'll get the same answer every where you go.

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

take the Pterosynchiropus splendidus (mandarin) back if your tank has not been running for at least 10-12 months. the first pic is a feather duster, a filter feeder. the star idk.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

All I can say is, if you know more than why are you posing a question??
    Also, ever heard of GOOGLE
    Tell you what, go to Reefcentral and see what kind of crazy answers you get there, with 50000 members. They must all know what their doing. 0.o

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you have difficulty in accepting comments and assistance with grace and in a humble manner, good luck to you finding a more supportive forum than 3reef.

These re-invent the wheel threads always go the same way. Starting a thread knowing full well that if the desired answer is not provided offense can appear to be justifiably taken by the thread creator, with the final conclusion of I did what I wanted and everything is still doing great.

11. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

Good luck! There arnt that many good ones out there

12. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

People like you that ask questions but end up ignoring advice and do what they want anyways, are the same people that crash tanks and waste money. The comments you received in this thread aren't from random people, they are from experienced reefers. Everyone tried to help you out. You will realize it later when your fish dies.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk