What are some of the best reef safe fish?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by jeffers0n, May 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

Which fish has great personality, but won't mess with all my corals?

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

damsels clowns some wrasses gobies blennies usually when you look at a fish website you can separate the options by reef safe and not so that would be a good thing to do

4. TheMaineAgenda

TheMaineAgenda Plankton

I am getting a Yellow Eye Kole's Tang. They only get 7 inches or so, and they are totally reef safe.

5. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

What is the minimum size tank for a kole tang

6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Some people say 75 Gallons, but I think one would be ok in a 55 gallon

7. starfish2217

I want a tang soo bad but I 40 gal is the max size I can even fit in my room :p

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

you would be ok with a small tang in a 40 breeder for a few years, then you would have to go bigger or give the tang up.

As for "reef safe" fish- check out Dr. Foster and Smith they have an online directory as to what is safe and what is not- concering inverts and coral/fishes.

Most any fish can be considered "reef safe" depending upon the type of reef you wish to keep- i.e corals, inverts, ect. Just depends on what you like/want to keep. First decide what you like, (are you the fish/invert type, or a coral lover, both?) then go from there- you can always change it later on.

There really is no true definition of a "correct reeef" set up.

BTW, I know of no fish that has more personality then clown fish or trigger fish- they are pretty smart critters.

10. Zeyphon

Zeyphon Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I really like 6 and 4 line wrasses, colourful, active and generally good reef fish except with similar coloured/shaped wrasses.

11. starfish2217

Agreed I had one in my cube sadly it died. but I plan on getting one for sure for my 40 gal.

12. Mini-Dude

Mini-Dude Astrea Snail

Tangs dont have a min tank size in gallons, its all length, if you have a tang that gets to 1 foot in lenght you would ned to have at least a 3 foot long tank, 4 prfeferably bacause they swim, a lot