What are good algae eaters?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JetEngineMech, Sep 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Do you run a phosphate reactor?
    Do you have a refugium?
    What is your PO4?

I have several algae eaters, but no hair alge (yet).
    I'm getting a phosphate reactor this week to help with my green algae.
    If you want a great peaceful herbivorous fish(mine eats meaty too) ... I like my foxface lo :
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Foxface Lo

He's the most peaceful guy in the tank and can be introduced into angry tang land since he's venomous(compares to hornet sting) he'll take care of himself. My Yellow tang went after him , but by day three they're all buddies.. I've read the same on several internet entries. It's interesting that he can completely change colors. He turns black when alarmed.

2. Click Here!

3. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

I tried a Foxface but had bad luck. He didn't arrive in very good condition and ended up dying the next day. I'm still a bit reluctant to get another because while he was in there my yellow tang kept messing with him. The tang would back up and smack him with his tail, which I thought was pretty gutsy, but smart.

BTW, my phosphate was high and since bringing it down the algae has come under control.

4. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I have a hair algae issue, my foxface will only eat the hair algae if it is detached and floats by him. I bought a lawnmower blenny because they supposedly sometimes eat hair algae, mine does not. I also have two mexican turbos that aren't doing much with it either unless I physically place them on the algae and they don't even eat all of it. ugh!

5. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

With the foxface you need to be carefull, they are senative little guys. lights off when you add them, and i dont think the tang helps.
    as for the lawnmowers, i dont think they eat algea, i understond that they were sand sifters. but algea blennys (which look alot alike) will do the job, plus red lip blennys. i just added one, and when i wake up in the morning i can see lip marks in the algea on the glass. but be careful if you already have a blenny in the tank.
    another little guy that works great is those sea hares, however, some put toxics into the water if they get to stressed or start to die.
    but as everyone else has already stated, find the real source to the problem otherwise your always playing catch up...