What Anemone Do you all recommend?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by gusg011, Jun 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

I've heard that the tank bred ones have less of the instinct in them and I've seen more people complaining that their tank bred occellaris didn't take to the anemone than others. Could just be that occellaris are more popular I suppose, but if they keep breeding them in tanks without anemones, it does make sense for that instinct to become less strong - at least eventually.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Choosing the correct anemone is whats most important ime. Most reefers prefer bta's as they stay relatively small and don't move as much but these are not proper hosts for either perc.'s or occy's.
    I have never seen a perc. or occy. turn a blind eye to a carpet anemone for very long but most people don't keep them alive long enough to find out.;)
    Believe me the smaller clowns need hostes the mostest unless the lack of predators eventually makes them feel whats the point that ph doesn't sting me.
    If you were to throw a grouper in there I guarantee they won't be so picky.lol
    don't do that.

Corailline likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

This topic has come up a a few times regarding aquacultured clowns. I look at it this way, you can not breed hundreds if not thousand of years of a evolutionary behavior out of a clown fish in a couple human generations.

You might be able to take certain clowns with a genetic predisposition to avoid anemones, breed those and end up with clowns not predisposed to residing in anemones. This would only happen though if the breeder were striving for that variation, not randomly.

Many hobbyist buy any old anemone, commonly BTA and think clowns will eventually host that anemone. Chances are good, but you really enhance your chances if you try to match up the clown type to anemone that the clown natural resides in, in the wild.

Clown types, Clarkii, Maroons and Tomatoes are commonly the most aggressive clowns available, their need or desire to reside in anemones seems more intense than your other clown types, within reason of course.

John Coleman likes this.
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Good read
    Again, in aquariums clownfishes will often find a substitute or surrogate host if no appropriate anemone is available, which is something they never do in the wild. I have searched and searched for anything covering how they are able to do this, but came up with nothing.
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/fish2

John Coleman and Corailline like this.
  6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Bubble tip or condy. condy is hardier imo but more aggresive (can literllay sting you if its healthy) my true percula were hosted in both. Take care when acclimating the nems. There is almost a 100% gurantee it will move from the original spot you place it. I recomend you keep a close eye on it during the day ( if it starts crawling on the sand be ready to net it to avoide it being picked up by a current and brought to the powerhead) turn off any powerheads, filters and pumps during the night to avoid finding a shreded nem in the morning till it settles.

Signs of a healthy nem are (and you should look for these before purchase too)a firm grip on the rock it rests, closed mouth ( though it can be open at times) and an overall healthy appearence.

Dont be scared when you bring your nem home and it deflates and looks mushy, as long as ir has a good grip this is normal. Its emptying its old water to replace it with the water of your tank but this should not take more than a couple days.

Hosting can take anything from a few days to years. To my understandig the clowns need to build up thier protective mucus so them nem does not recognize them as food....

Good luck! Nems are awesome

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  7. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

My friend has no sump/refugium and no cuc because unlike my green spotted puffer, hers goes after hermit and any snail. Because of this, she has to pick at green hair algae on the rock with her water changes. She always leaves it in one spot though because her percula clown uses it as a host and makes sure the puffer stays away from it.

Edit: This clown http://www.3reef.com/threads/bought-an-onyx-clown.141955/

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Wait what? Im lost, green spot puffer?