What Anemone Do you all recommend?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by gusg011, Jun 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I knew this was coming, you beat me vinny. Lol
    To gus, I'd say a bubble tip is your best bet and kudos to your LFS for being honest with you. I'd keep going back there

Vinnyboombatz and Mr. Bill like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. gdwats1

gdwats1 Plankton

4. sandy

sandy Bristle Worm

corn or bulb anemone also looks good ;)

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Corn anemone,bulb anemone,Bubble tip anemone are all the same thing Entacmaea quadricolor.;)

Swisswiss likes this.
  6. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Just to add to what's been said, people have reported carpets eating their clowns as well.

Also, ocellaris clowns are less likely to reside in an anemone than perculas and others. Not that you shouldn't try, but that's something for you to think about next time you're choosing a pair if that's what you really want.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Huh??Never heard that before FA?Can I ask how you came to that conclusion?
    Choosing the right host is important.Bubble tip anemone's are not a natural host to either a percula or an occellaris clown FWIW.

8. Click Here!

9. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm not sure if it was on here, but I've heard of a few people (who weren't complete noobs) that had a clown or two go missing that was perfectly healthy when there was nothing else in the tank that could have possibly killed it. Once the carpet was taken out, the fish (including any more clowns) stopped disappearing so it wasn't a hidden hunter like a mantis, or at least in one of the cases. At least one other person liked the anemone more than the idea of more clowns. I remember them being very large carpets and it's possible they weren't getting enough food? I don't remember the species or know much about the care for them so I don't remember all of the specifics.

It's not super common but apparently it may happen.

Edit: Now that I think about it, people might have also brought up the theory that the clown was of a type that wasn't as resistant to the anemone's sting (like a tank bred ocellaris vs a wild caught percula) and this might have contributed towards its death if the carpet did eat it. I will try to find a thread or two on it but I probably won't have the time until Monday.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Any fish not acclimated to a Haddoni is fair game, clowns ...damsels.

If the fish has had time to acclimate to the Haddoni, to develop that protective coating that tricks the anemone into not recognizing the fish as a protein or sugar, the anemone will not eat that fish. Once a damsel develops this coating the anemone is not able to distinguish the fish as a food type and will not fire nematocyst.

Just any old damsel can not be introduced to the Haddoni and expect a good outcome, the damsel must expose itself repeatedly to develop the immunity.
    (Vinny step away from the last sentence). :rolleyes:

Swisswiss, Flaring Afro and Mr. Bill like this.
  11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes, and that goes for any clown or damsel and any anemone. I recall watching my domino acclimate himself to a condy. OTOH, I also remember my ocellaris getting stung by a bta and never going near a nem again.

Flaring Afro and Corailline like this.
  12. Vinnyboombatz

I wasn't questioning the fact carpets eat fish.That is an absolute.I was referring to the statement that Percula's (and other types) were more likely then occellaris to use an anemone host.

DSC reef and Mr. Bill like this.