What algae is this and how to rid it...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jaymostella, Sep 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I have this red furry stuff all over.. I have researched and thought it may be red turf algae but doesn't really look like any pics I have seen. It is more like a moss and mostly covers large areas of rock. Yellow tang nips at it... It doesn't grow any longer than seen in pics. As also seen it will grow on coral but only on dead tips or dead pieces but does not appear to cover live areas on the coral.

I have recently started back my GFO although po4 reads 0.03... But it obviously has phosphates to grow. Istarted biopellets about 9 months ago and had stopped the gfo. I also recently purchased a sea hare (almost a month ago)..

Any help to rid it appreciated...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]This is how it covers dead coral...

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Cyanobacteria aka "Slime algae". How much flow do you have in the tank? What are your full parameters? The PO4 readings are probably off because the bacteria is absorbing it.

4. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I did have a bad outbreak of red slime but it had a different texture and appearance. This stuff feels like furry moss so never thought it to be cyano.

125 tank

2 mp 40 mostly reef crest but have mode that changes throughout day a couple times.

1 maxijet 1200 in rock in the middle back

2 return pumps from Sump. mag 18 and mag 15 (one is teed off to supply water to biopellets and the other teed to supply calcium reactor

Alk 8.6 (read to keep this low with bio pellets) I use to maintain it at 10
    Calcium 420
    Mag 1360
    Nitrate shows 0

0 tds coming out of Rodi to reservior

5. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Another thing is the cyano I had siphoned easily this stuff would have to be scrubbed to come off...

About 3 months ago I changed power head placement and with 9 hours of me waking I found my total sanded was rearranged... It was bad! About 2 weeks later I had lots of death occurring and bad outbreak of red slime.. Everything is looking really good now but has been a long road... This stuff was there prior to that..

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If you are reading Phosphates that means you are probably:
    A. Feeding too much.
    B.Overstocked.
    C.Not doing large enough regular water changes/maintenance.
    D.Combination of all.
    I have some of that algae in my tank.Not sure exactly what its called.You can try and shoot John at Reefcleaners a pic and he will probably be able to give you the name.Manually removing as much as possible and an aggressive maintenance routine is the only way to successfully combat algaes.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

It's probably Asparagopsis Taxiformis.

Here's some I had in the seahorse tank. Does it look like that? It was actually covering a single piece of macro when it came in. Looks nice when it's isolated like that, but it won't be for long. It can also trap a lot of detritus.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Looks like Red Turf Algae to me. Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. You can try and siphon out what you can and get a good clean up crew to remove the algae in the short term. I've heard of Mexican Turbo Snails, Fox Face Rabbitfish and some Uchins eating Red Turf Algae. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. If you have bio balls/media, check if they are dirty or get rid of them if you have enough live rock. Also, changing your photo period, light bulbs, adding more flow, using RO/DI water with a good salt. Since you have phosphates, you can add a phosphate remover like Tropic Marin Elimi-Phos.