What about tangs?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Craig Manoukian, Dec 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You would need a 250 gallon or larger tank to safely keep a Powder Brown and Powder Blue tang from fighting one another.

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I have a blue hippo tang and a purple tang in my 120 and they occasionally spar but seem to get along fairly well, just luck I guess..  I put the purple tang in last,  they can be very belligerent to all fish in a tank and should be one of the last fish added.  Those powder blues and browns are ick magnets though,  your asking for double trouble. Stay away from achilles tang too, might want to try a gold rim tang or white cheek tang. Gold rim hybrids are nice too but very expensive. They are very hardy though.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

That is a good selection of fish that will do well together especially in the size tank you have. The royal gramma, is an excellent reef fish with vibrant color and a good demeanor which you could add as well. May want to try a blenny and/or goby also. All of these fish will get along well with each other.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The powder Tangs as well as the Hippo's are suppose to be some of the more demanding Tangs to keep alive. Correct me if i'm wrong. I've had a Yellow Tang in my 75gal. reef for a couple years now. He is doing very well though he really hasn't grown that big(4-5") about the same as when I bought him. Welll, my question is, is it possible to add another tang to my tank?

6. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Great thread! Thank you for such good information. One question though kinda off topic.... I see &quot(word)&quot around a lot.... what is &quot

Thanks
    again, great thread.

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Hey, dont forget to mention the temperment of each Tang species. Those guys are bad when they wanna be. :mad:

8. Click Here!

9. Deano

Deano Astrea Snail

Can a Tang eat to much? I have had a yellow eyed tang for about the past 3 months and he eats the algea, prepared foods and sea weed strips like it's his last meal. The foxface doesn't eat as much as he does and almost always gives him the right of way when it comes to eating. I only put sea weed stips in my tank every third day or so because he will go to town on it the minute it's in the tank. Can he over eat or does he have a saltwater tap worm in his GI tract (LOL)?

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

LOL

I know what your talking about my Orange shoulder is a real pig as well. I don't think it's something to worry about

J

11. Deano

Deano Astrea Snail

I thought about getting a NASO Tang, but I'm qeustioning tempermants and whether or not the Tellow Eyed Tang would be to aggressive.
    Any experience with these two types of Tangs getting a long.

12. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

my powder brown is a frickin garbage disposal. Every time I look at him he's eating something.