what about an orange spotted goby?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by jewels_04, Dec 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jewels_04

jewels_04 Astrea Snail

Called around to a TON of fish stores in the area and only one had a yellow watchman. So I had my husband pick it up on the way home from work. I even sent him a picture and told him DO NOT buy any other type of fish.

So he gets home I excitedly go to acclimate my new guy and when I get the bag it's not a yellow watchman. So I asked my husband what the heck is it? He told me it's an orange spotted goby. Ofcourse the store won't exchange it even though I never took it out of the bag(first and last time I do business with them) so I start acclimating him(floating bag for 15 minutes than removing bag water and replacing with tank water for another 15 minutes).

He seemed fine last night, hide for awhile than was bouncing (yes bouncing around the tank bottom, is that normal)around the tank bottom. I fed my shrimp and crabs a little shrimp pellets the goby didn't eat though which I figured he wouldn't yet. Are shrimp pellets ok for him? Or should I get frozen mysis shrimp and feed with a baster?

I know they jump out of tanks and my tank does have a cover so hoping that'll keep him in. Also heard they sift sand too but he didn't do that at all last night.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Give it some time to acclimate then it should start eating. Feeding mysis is a good idea.

4. jewels_04

jewels_04 Astrea Snail

Thanks! Yeah I didn't expect him to eat but my snails and hermit crabs sure like the shrimp pellets I throw a couple teeny chunks in for them. I will go get some mysis shrimp sometime today for him. I assume he's still doing good, found him under a rock this morning and he seemed to be ok.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you decide to get a blind shrimp it might pair up with it.

6. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

What are some examples of blind shrimp?

7. jewels_04

jewels_04 Astrea Snail

Never thought of getting him a shrimp i'll have to look into it. Don't they require calcium to be added to the tank though?

So far 16 hours in he seems to be settling in. I have my rocks in 3 clumps so he has 3 spots to hide and he's been out quite a bit this morning just hanging out in the open, if I walk past sometimes he'll swim back to his hole but he comes out right after.

So I guess now I can officially call my tank a fish tank seeing as there's a fish in it?

8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Pistol shrimp.

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

We have an orange-spotted, and yes, bouncing is normal. Mine used to do it a lot. One of my other fish has gotten more aggressive lately, though, so now Spot hides all day and comes out when the others go to bed. The thing I noticed with mine is that they're a shrimp goby, not really a sand sifter. I've seen mine take maybe 5 mouthfuls of sand in almost a year LOL. We put a pistol in the same day as Spot, but so far the pistol apparently has no use for the fish. Sometimes Spot will sit over by the pistol den looking wistful LOL. If you want it to burrow, you'll definitely want a shrimp because ours only ever lived in a burrow the other goby built. Now that it filled it, he just sleeps behind the rocks or between one rock and the glass. Sometimes he sneaks in with the other goby, then gets out before the other goby wakes up!

Ours likes mysis and will eat flake that hits the bottom like there's no tomorrow, and sometimes will grab the pellets too.

11. jewels_04

jewels_04 Astrea Snail

Well i got mysis cubes(all I could find) and frozen brine shrimp (my goldies and betta love those too). Is there a way I can save part of the cube of mysis? Seems like a waste to defrost the whole cube for one little fish.

12. Jen

Jen Plankton

LOL! We also got our orange spotted goby as a mistake. Ours was supposed to be an orange diamond goby. As far as the bouncing, we named ours Tigger because of it. He VERY RARELY actually swims.

Ours eats everything. Pellets, mysis, he LOVES bloodworms. Eating is pretty much the only time he goes in the water column, and even then it's within a few inches of the bottom.

Tigger was getting a little pushed around when we got our yellow headed sleeper goby, so we got him a tiger pistol shrimp. I have to say he's like a whole new fish now. He used to be pretty boring to watch, hardly moving. Bouncing around once in a while. NOW however, he takes his job so seriously and he's really developed a ton of personality. If a pistol shrimp fits into your tank, I'd highly recommend it.