What about a Linkia?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by bland8126, Jun 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bland8126

bland8126 Astrea Snail

Well I didn't really research it, I typed it in google and I recognized the pictures that came up and I told you I recognized it. If you would like to know where I do my research I mainly go to yard sales and used book stores for books on Oceanography and the hobby. If I don't have a book on something I use the Internet. I use a variety of sites even if their just for quick info and not research such as Live Aquaria, Saltwater Smarts, Reef Builders, Aquanerd , and Fish Channel, but those are just the ones I use often. Even if some of the websites are "quick info" sites, they still can teach you something new and give you a little more knowledge on the subject.

mdbostwick likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bland8126

bland8126 Astrea Snail

Here is what I found when I looked up Fromia sp.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

4. bland8126

bland8126 Astrea Snail

Red Starfish or Fromia Indica
    image.jpg
    Maldive Starfish or Fromia Monilis
    image.jpg
    From my main invertebrate book. Don't know if you can read it.

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I don't believe you can get all your information from one source. This may just be the history major in me speaking.

I like to do searches on the internet and will read as many articles as i can find on a subject and then i will look on forums for first hand experience.

When it comes to live stock i find it is a bit difficult to get solid answers. If i am trying to find information on a Flame Angel, yeah that is pretty simple because there is not much it can be confused with. Inverts and coral on the other hand can be quite the challenge since some go by so many names. Try searching cleaner shrimp or for a less common wrasses and you will be banging your face on the keyboard within minutes.

DSC reef, Swisswiss and Corailline like this.
  6. bland8126

bland8126 Astrea Snail

I was showing him something from a book I use the most when it comes to inverts. In a few posts up VA asked me what I use for research and I listed it. It should be 4or5 posts up.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Just speaking from experience with both these and linkia sp. (again this describes multiple species and you can't really base the care of all linkia on one species).

Interesting book. I'm all for a good read, just got to be careful with dated information and reliable sources. What is the publification date of your main book?

On the things you posted, I didn't see any saying they eat fish. Some species can eat other stars, though two stars in smaller systems is usually unadvisable anyways.

Did you consult your usual sources about linkia sp. too?

Edit: Also, it's generally not a good idea to get information from websites selling the animal (with the exception of liveaquria and a few other sites)

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Linckia in such a small tank is always a bad idea, it just that black and white.

: starfish LFS