Wet Dreams :-P

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by IceDragon, May 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good grief - an ocean Twilight Zone! You've completely lost it Omar! ;D Too funny..

Anyway, I think a Mandarin would work way down the road. But I wouldn't attempt it until your tank is wayyy established. And then I would still target feed.

2. Click Here!

3. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

yeah i was figuring 16-18 months min befor adding the mandarin

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

The internet sites are good too, but you can't take a PC into a LFS easily, that's why I prefer the book. If you can wait a short time ( I am moving house ) I have a spare copy and would be only too happy to send it to you. Might take a while though

John

John

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

There is really good information at www.liveaquaria.com, but this is one where I really have to disagree. Remember they are in the business of selling fish.

Your 75 with a 30 gallon refugium should be good at 16 - 18 months.

6. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

[quote author=JohnO link=board=Newbie;num=1083717995;start=0#12 date=05/05/04 at 15:03:28]

The internet sites are good too,  but you can't take a PC into a LFS easily, that's why I prefer the book.  If you can wait a short time ( I am moving house ) I have a spare copy and would be only too happy to send it to you.  Might take a while though

[/quote]

wow thanks john that would be great ... i am in no rush btw i still have about 2 mo of gathering supplies and a mo of curing my LR befor i can even think about putting something moving in my tank

7. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

btw does any one see any issue with my inverts, or have any input as to if i can start my tank with all small frags(2" or less) or if the first couple peices should be large ones

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=IceDragon link=board=Newbie;num=1083717995;start=0#14 date=05/05/04 at 20:16:52]

wow thanks john that would be great ... i am in no rush btw i still have about 2 mo of gathering supplies and a mo of curing my LR befor i can even think about putting something moving in my tank[/quote]

No problems, just email me your postal address when you have a chance

John

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Go with the "frags" whenever possible...much more fun to "grow up" with your corals...much cheaper...and you will not experience great financial setback if conditions are not right yet in tank for particular species... :(

Have often pondered thought that some of my early unfortunate coral losses, were from introducing mature corals that were already too used to a much "healthier" environment...where they may have been fine if started out as frags...which btw, almost every "frag" I have ever introduced has done/is doing well...

Also may be some "chemical warfare" issues to consider...mature corals may be more likely to "sqabble" between each other with effects that your new system can't deal with yet...producing "adverse" effects for all...just an idea, but another reason I'd go with the frags...

Great satisfaction to be had in nurturing/watching your "young" corals prosper in your new tank :) (far better then "pain/anquish" of watching a beautiful -probably expensive- "mature" specimen fall apart in front of your eyes for completely unknown reason.. :huh:...experience talking here :-[)

Check w/ local aquarium society for "frag" source...

Enjoy..

OmarD

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I would not put a Blue Tang in that size of tank Ice Dragon IMO.

12. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Newbie;num=1083717995;start=15#18 date=05/08/04 at 10:30:47]I would not put a Blue Tang in that size of tank Ice Dragon IMO.[/quote]

well nautilus has not given me bad advice so far so i did a little more reading and i ave to say as much as i hate to admit it i do not think i could make a blue tang comfortable :(

with that said as much as i dont like it i think i will go with the yellow tang

care level is stated as easy and affter a little re-reading the clown i want are moderate care level so maybee it would be better to start with a more "forgiving" fish

so as far a fish i think that would put my new list at

2 Fairy Wrasses 6"
    1 Yellow Tang 8"
    2 True Percula Clownfish 6"
    2 Neon Blue Goby 4"
    2 Green Mandarin (psy) 8"

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    9 fish 32" total

i was thinking of adding in the order above .... any one see any issues?