well I did it....got the bimac octopus!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, Sep 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

That sucks.... Sorry for your loss. It is stories like this that scare me away from cephalopods. I really wanted to try one.

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Sorry about this! I hope you find him and he was just hiding in the tank somewhere. Keep us posted.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

well the octopus is definately NOT in the octopus tank. I searched high and low last night, and then again today. I still think he crawled out somehow and got into my puffer tank. I can not find any trace of him in the puffers tank, but something spooked my scorpion to jump and Goldie is still not begging.

I have done a 75% water change, removed all the bioballs and other stuff in the back of the sump and am going to leave it empty for a while. Let it re-cycle and go from there. I am thinking I am going to eventually move my seahorses into there and then make it into a frag tank. (did the water change in case it did disintegrate in the tank)

I did grab a sample and am going to go upto the LFS and test for copper. I dont know why that popped into my mind but before I do ANYTHING else I want to make sure it is not in there from some contamination.

I will probably add sometype of copper removing pad anyhow, as it may not pick up at the level that could kill an octopus.

1 person likes this.
  5. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Wow. I am very sorry to hear about this. Schackmel, I gotta say, I admire your willingness to try new things and pick yourself up after a loss! k+

6. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

well got a little surprise today! When I told my LFS that the octopus died he said dont worry I will replace it for you! I told him, no I dont think so, I killed it by letting it get out, blah blah blah.....Just feeling horrible for what happened.

We discussed what I could have done differently, blocking off the jet wiht a sponge, using netting, etc. I said no thanks!

I did a complete water change (only 75% of it) and let it recycle. I was going to let it be for a bit or even make it a frag tank.

Well had a message that the new octopus for me was coming in tomorrow (even though I did not order it) as a present. Now I got to decide if I want to do it again! I know what needs to be done to the tank to keep it safe and still have the emerald crabs (I gave away all the fidlers I had)

No matter what I decide I am going to have to have them hold it for a week or so, so that I dont rush the mods that needs to be done as I took it all out

I tested the water for copper and was neg. One mistake I did do the last time was I bought some PVC tubing and forgot to sterilize it in the dishwasher to kill anything on it (I dont think that stressed him but ??????)

Suggestions? Yea or Ney? I have the help of someone who has kept several octopus in past, plus one of the store workers who I have become friends with have raised a couple and currently has a wonderpus.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Go for it! You can tell how excited you were on you're earlier posts. Let the first rounds of mistakes add up to additional experience. You've got the set-up and game plan now. You just need the octo ;)

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Seriously! you did cuddlefish and not a octopuss! you deserve k my friend! Even if things have been up and down its all a learning process. Keep trying my friend you will get there. I also will be doing cuddle so I know the ups and downs. I have the 150 ready so I will to try. Kplus to you.

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I'm currently hitting myself for not seeing this thread. And now i'll go read about Mac II so I can hit myself there...:D

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

have you thought of using an air lift to get oxygen and circulation in the tank? are you familiar with air lifts? not sure if the octopus would try to get in there, but air lifts are a great way to raise oxygen, much more efficient than air stones...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009