well I did it....got the bimac octopus!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, Sep 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

up - Fiddler Crabs. In Lots of 10 (Uca pugnax) These guys will fiddle their way into your hearts..even though they're crabs! Octopi like to hear them fiddle from the inside! PRIORITY SHIPPING INCLUDED $14.95

up20 - Fiddler Crabs. In Lots of 10 (Uca pugnax) These guys will fiddle their way into your hearts..even though they're crabs! Or, for people that want to start a fiddler colony :)

^^^^^^^^

What do these mean? Up and up20 and lots of 10. LoL...

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

bump... waiting for pics awesome doodette

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
  4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

From what I figured was the top one was 10, and the second one was 20. Other then that I did not know? Will see..should be getting them today!

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

pictures should be coming tonight when I get home....hopefully he will come out and play today. Octopus do tend to hide and blend into the rock structures. It has been scary at times....can not find him and there he is sitting on a rock completely blended into the surroundings!

6. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Looking forward to the pictures!

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well its tonight and still no pics! What gives?

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

nice but this thread is missing something VERY important :) PICTURES

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

ummm....we are still investigating what happened....but he is missing!:cry:

Had inwall come over during the day to get the fiddler crab shipment. He went to the fish room and could not find Mac (octopus) He did find an arm in the tank. The search began for him...moved rocks, moved the astroturf, moved the junk in the sump area....no luck.

Looked around the room tonight and found my large scorpion tank on the floor in front of my FOWLR tank. :cry:

I also noted the pump was somehow dislodged from the octopus tank?????

Here is what I think happened (1 of the following)
    1. He crawled through the flow jet, dislodged the tube to the pump, lost a few arms on the way and crawled through a small crack??? and got into my Puffer tank. Scared my scorpion (who always is on the rocks and never swims to top) to jump. I looked in the puffers tank and did not see him however there is about 120 lbs of rock in there. Either Goldie my puffer ate him, he is hiding in the rocks, or he went into the sump (which I cant see) I truly think Goldie might have ate him as today is Goldies day to eat and she is not begging like normal. Usually she is spitting water at me, splashing etc
    2. He crawled through the flow jet, and got sucked into the pump and is like an anemone and disintegrated, or...
    3. He is somewhere dead in that room, or...
    4. he is in the tank still and I did not see him. There is a compartment in the back of the tank that I can not get to and he will have to work his way out.

Needless to say I am hacked...lost an octopus and a very cool scorpion in one day. :bigcry:

I am not sure how he got out. I checked the tank for any escapes, Inwall checked the tank for any escapes before placing him in there. I am truly considering taking down this tank

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I am also going to take a water sample in tomorrow to the LFS. I HAVE NEVER, EVER dosed copper in any of my tanks. However I was reading that even the slightest bit of copper will kill 50% of cephs in 96 hours. I have had the octopus for 96 hours..so makes me think maybe I had some leach out. He ate and was very active yesterday.

I did just do a water change a couple days before I got him. I was out of salt and I bought water from the LFS (usually make my own) I am wondering if maybe their RO/DI is not working. It is an older building and wondering if they have copper pipes? Minute levels will kill ceph...just thinking what I did wrong? I just wish I could find the body