Weld-on #16 acrylic solvent. Is it aquarium safe?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Anldyxp, Aug 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BUGz

BUGz Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Less than 24 hours the acrylic to egg crate bond is solid and hard! The outside temps here have been in the 116, so the higher temp quickened the cure time.

I was always wondering if WO could be used on egg crate and this answered my question.
    ;D
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Great! Thanks again, appreciate it! I picked up the new tank yesterday so I can start making meausurements. Will probably run down to lowes today or tomorrow for supplies=]

4. brentonwoodruff

brentonwoodruff Fire Worm

My father owns a sign shop so I used to spend a lot of time around acrylic. What we did there for high strength bonds was to initially bond the two pieces with Weldon #4 since it is thinner and work its way all the through the joint with few air bubbles and one that dried put a bead of #16 on the inside for strength.

On a second note I built my sump using only #16 since my cuts (mainly of the score and break variety since my access to a good table saw was limited) were rough and I needed the thickness to bond the two.

To answer your original question in three words yes it's safe. Hope that helps

5. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Thanks! I've already built the media baskets and everything worked great. I was also scoring and snapping the acrylic so the edges were not perfect so the thickness did help.