Weird things happening to my tank. 2 new fish dead

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Durty Dj's 916, Aug 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Durty Dj's 916

Durty Dj's 916 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My tank has been running 10 months now. I recently did a 50% water change and lightly vacuumed the sand bed of the tank as it was looking really dirty like a layer of brownish sand on the top as it had been a little while since my last cleaning. I also completely cleaned out my canister filter as it had been about 4 months since i last cleaned it. I let the water settle 3 days after the change and it was crystal clear water and pearly white sand and tests indicated a health living environment . I only have 4 small fish in the 55 gal tank as well as a shrimp and a crab and a snail. So i decided to buy a small spotted sweet lips and a fire gobby. I drip acclimated the fish for an hour and half then introduced them to the new environment. With in 2 days and with no signs of ill health both new fish died. i bought the fish from a store that i normally don't go through so that may be a factor. it was so weird like i fed them they ate and had tons of life in them and then i turned the light off and the next morning poof both dead. All other life in the tank is fine. now i am 7 days from when i did the 50% water change and my sand is even more brown than before and has never gotten so brown so fast and nitrite is at .20 pmm when i have kept it at 0 for the better half of 10 months. I have no idea what is going on and I am scared of having a tank crash any help or advice would really help. i have never seen it get so dirty so fast and haven't lost a fish since the first month it has been up

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

could you give us your exact water parameters, especially NH4 and salinity.

I would ditch the canister filter and achieve filtration via live rock, deep sand bed, a skimmer and a mechanical filter. canisters can lead to trouble in the long run (my opinion).

the brown stuff you are referring to seems to be diatoms, an algae known to bloom in new systems. high levels of diatoms in a new tank suggest elevated levels of phosphate and silicates, these elements are consumed by the diatoms and once no longer present in the water column they vanish on their own or starve.

dont disturb the sand bed, the sand traps toxins and when you stir it up or "disturb" it you release said toxins in the water column.

finally what water source are you using to make your salt water?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013