Weird creature...

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by hialeahzbg, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hialeahzbg

hialeahzbg Astrea Snail

So last night I was observing my tank up close and i saw some little antennae / tentacles peaking out of one of my live rock. I have not added anything to my tank in months due to the "Great Depression" we are experiencing... I threw in some food and very quickly the creature came out of its hole. It resembles a snail or slug without a shell, dark in color- black or dark green. It is about 2 inches long, (although he did not show his entire self so he may be longer) and about 1/3 inch thick. I tried to take a photo however the thing is very quick to hide with any sudden movement or light. A while back some of my fish and shrimp completely vanished from my tank without a trace and I recently I found my pretty nice sized emerald crab dead and half eaten. Does anyone know what this could be and is it causing my disappearing fish? Thx!!::)

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Stomatella perhaps? Google it and tell me what you think. If it is..they're good guys!

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

maybe a mantis if inverts and fish are missing? if you hear clicking at night, its probably a mantis, just a guess though

5. hialeahzbg

hialeahzbg Astrea Snail

Nope its not that. It is not oval or flat. Its more like a worm or centipede... Very mean looking lol.

6. hialeahzbg

hialeahzbg Astrea Snail

No clicking :/

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Big amphipod? They kind of freaked me out first time I saw one..wasn't 2 inches though..

8. Click Here!

9. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

That "sounds" like some type of uenicid/polycheate of some sort(not likely a bobbit worm though)....? Are you sure it's not a worm, because snails aren't normally that fast..

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  10. hialeahzbg

hialeahzbg Astrea Snail

Just looked through google and it looks like something called bobbit worm? but darker and smoother...

11. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Lol! We posted at the same time haha. I didn't want to say bobbit worm because of the description, but if it is, they are BAD news for your tank. Get ready for a fight too, they are mean as heck and incredibly crafty creatures. And really hard to catch...:-/

12. hialeahzbg

hialeahzbg Astrea Snail

Oh dear! :/ How do I get it out?