Weird algae colours is this bad?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by avnish76, Feb 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. avnish76

avnish76 Plankton

Dear Members
    Ive got some algae issues on the rear wall of my RSM. There is a mix of green,purple white see images. What can i do to reduce this? for Clean up crew, ive got 6 hermit crabs. I have only 1 turbo snail left, 2 got eaten by the puffer fish who was returned to the LFS yesterday.
    lighting is kept on a timer for 8 hours a day. water is changed weekly about 10%
    I did have some hair algae issue but this is resolved since I replaced both lights with the RSM 55W T5.
    my salinity level is 1.023. All other levels are fine as the LFS tested my water.
    Is this even a problem?:-/ as its created quite a nice natural background?;D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

not sure but i like the color, bump 4 u

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Looks like an opportunistic type of algae that has begun to adhere to the coralline on your back glass. I would leave it and address the hair algae in your tank, you will more than likely address this at the same time. Do you know what has caused the hair – do you need assistance in identifying the cause and rectifying the issue?

5. avnish76

avnish76 Plankton

Hi Crimson Ghost.
    Thanks for the input. I had a real bad breakout of hair algae about 3 months ago. due to some neglect. I removed about 8KG of live rock as they were covered in this red algae slime. I then did a 50% water change. I added 1 new live rock covered in purple coraline. have done frequent water changes as advised by my LFS. I also have to wipe the glass with the magnet wiper as a brown color stained algae develops in some areas on the glass.
    any advise would be appreciated. btw im looking to add sump/refugium and customize my aquarium. see my other threads for updates.

6. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I haven’t read your other thread, but hair algae can be a royal pain in the backside – but the good news it the cause is generally identifiable and rectifiable with patience.

Hair algae thrive on phosphates and nitrates – generally attributable to make-up water and the lack of us of a good RO/DI unit.

Check your salt mix that you use – some of the cheaper brands contain ammonia and nitrogen (I know, tough to believe) post what you use and someone will know if its good or not. Post your parameters, maintenance and feeding schedule. And of course continue with the water changes.

Keep in mind when testing your tank you may test well, but that generally due to the excess nutrients present in your system being consumed by the algae at the same rate of production. To identify this you can pull the algae from the tank manually and then test the following day.