Weight of tank and floor support

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by PghSteeler, Nov 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

How large of a tank do you guys usually feel safe placing on a wooden floor on a house with a basement?

90gal tank with 20 or 30 gallon sump thats 100-120gallons over a 4ft by 18inch footprint. Not sure even next to a load bearing wall if thats considering a great idea. Below is the garage and electrical panel

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I had a 150 gal fresh water tank that caused my floor to sag, then the tank twisted and the bottom of the tank blew out at 3 am. Not good at all!!! I now place all my tanks near load bearing walls and if it is larger than 75 gallons I put floor jacks underneath. They are not expensive and well worth the piece of mind.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wow, lots of past threads on this.
    MOst floor joices are 12".
    It is best by far to orient the tank perpendicular to the joices underneath.
    And of course the closer to a load bearing wall in the basement, the better.
    YOu can 'brace' the area underneath id it's applicable to your spot.

If you put your system perpendicular to the joices underneath- you should be fine.

FWIW- My 180, with a DIY heavy stand and canopy- etc. is near a LB wall in the basement underneath, trhe 2x12's under the DT run perpendiculat to it, and actually has a wall (that partitioned off my non finished basement area) that I sort of made load bearing on the front side of the tank.
    My sump is also in my basement- another 125g with ~110g of water in it at all times.
    NO sagging/instability here.

Matt Rogers likes this.