Weather on RapidLED - Solved Pg.5 w/ Video

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Biocube, Apr 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

The shortest time I can get on the Apex is 1 second. If I could get .25-.50 seconds it would be prefect, the driver is very responsive.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Good luck bro! Tanks looking great though!;)

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks Cosmo, good to see you back on here. ;)

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thx bro, springtime, a lot of outdoors stuff going on now. Grow those frags for me!;)

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Since this is separate from your normal lights....

Set then to pump mode, and use the Divide by 10 function. This will give you 1/10th of a second resolution.

Then you can use an Timer / OSC to get a more randomization of the setting.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I have never heard of the Divide by 10 function, how would this look on the screen?

Thanks for the tip!

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

So after looking at the User Guid I see I need to use a dimmable driver to use the Divid by 10. I am looking to use a simple 700mA driver on an outlet to support LEDs.

OR

Is there any way to use my current white driver and have it ramp from 65% to 100% to create a lightning effect?

10. dunc101

dunc101 Flamingo Tongue

FYI: This video utilizes the pump profile with divide by 10 on. It still is not as "snappy" as I would like, but it is pretty decent. This is what I did for my friends tank. His tank inspires me to say the least! lol.

IMG 1706 1 - YouTube

I am currently working on building my LED's (72 cree leds from rapid using meanwell drivers). Hopefully I should be done in the next week, but I have our first baby also due this week, therefore I'm not sure if I will get them hung or not!!! So, it may be a while before I can work on the lightning storm for my tank =).

11. BigAl07

BigAl07 Plankton

I could be wrong but I think the drivers you're using can't "React" quick enough to be as fast as you're wanting. I'd say the last video above is about as quick as they can manage. The units with quick flashing are using drivers designed to be able to charge and discharge quickly re: lightning. This is what I've gathered from reading over the last couple of years on the topic.

I wonder if you could work with Neptune to come out with a dedicated "lightning" unit similar to a Simu or SimuL made by GHL for the ProfiLux? It's literally plug-n-play and very accurately mimics lighting and with multiple units you can have it strike in different places randomly or all at once. Surely Neptune can help yall out with this task.

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Quick Update:

I am still working on it, I need to finish my ATO & Dosing Pump project first before I focus on this project. I have played with some programming and may have found a solution, I will post another update in the upcoming week.