Weather on RapidLED - Solved Pg.5 w/ Video

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Biocube, Apr 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe every time my ATO turns on it will storm, shoot I can make it rain too!

Perhaps I'm going overboard. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

No such thing, IMO...

The downside to an OSC lightning is it won't look very random... But I'm sure with some proper programming we can fake that too.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

How responsive are the stunner strips? Maybe one of those could be implemented and plugged into your eb8 for simplicity.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Its not to bad, but sadly I have Magenta & Royal Blue.

For 80 bucks I could build a DIY LED system for half that price.

6. dunc101

dunc101 Flamingo Tongue

Check out these two threads. I hope I am allowed to post threads to another forum.

• View topic - LED Cloud Cover and Lightening Effect

Lightning on a DIY LED? - Page 2 - Reef Central Online Community

Anyways, I set up a friends reef and it isn't as "realistic" as per say as the AI sol or radion lightning, but it does look pretty "interesting." The lightning strikes are about 1/2 a second to 1 second long. I also believe there are a couple of youtube vidoes in both of those threads for you to see kind of what I am referring too.

The best way I found was to use the OSC command and use the "pump" profile feature to "randomize" the intensity level of your lights. The problem is that the APEX is does not get more fine grained than 1 second (you can do the divided by 10 option with the pump profile which should be 1/10 of a second, but it was not doing it that fast for me).

Hope this helps you out some ;). If you get a very fast lightning strike, let me know.
    One other thing I want to experiment with is that if you turn OFF your apex lights, after about 3 seconds you get a very quick flash. I am wondering if we could utilize this to perform a more realistic looking lightning strike.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Dang, I just looked up the price on those things.. Build your own for sure. Won't take many.

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I have no idea, but they were helpful.

I think 4 MAX for my tank.

I do have a separate driver(non-dimming) just for UV/Cyan, they are not white by no means but if my main drivers are producing cloud coverage the UV/Cyan are more than bright enough to simulate lighting..

Driver - http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-lpc-35-700-constant-current-driver/

What do you think?

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I think I have 4 leftover xmls with optics I will mail you for free. They are warm white, but they are free.

1 person likes this.
  11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

That would be great!

Ill PM you my address.

What do you think about the Rapid Driver supporting lighting?

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I really don't know. So long as it can handle being cut on and off it will be fine. I can't think of any reason why not.