We made a mess! What do we do??

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by juliew, Oct 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I broke my LR up with a hammer and chisel - it was large and dense. I got the same crud you're talking about all over my driveway.

I first did a water change and kept the old water. So as I was breaking it up, I was dipping it to keep it Lr ;)

Once I was done, I rinsed it in tap water to get the rest of that crud off, patted it dry lightly, and put it back in tank.

It got slightly cloudy for about an hour and I only noticed a VERY small ammonia spike that was gone the next day (cloudiness and ammonia) completely.

That was a month ago - no problems.

For whatever my story is worth :) Good luck!

2. Click Here!

3. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

Hackem688 - After rinsing them off in the tap water, we soaked them in some salt water for a little while before putting them in the DT.

Peredhil - I appreciate your story. It makes me feel better about our situation :)

julie

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The only thing to remember, if your still cycling and you added live rock, or did a what change, or both in your case, your going to need to start the cycle all over again

5. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I found out that the hard way

6. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks for your comment PackLeader -

Actually we did not add any live rock. We put some dead rock in the DT & then put some of the LR from the DT in the filter where the bioballs go.

We have not done a water change yet. We are going to let it clear up a little more before we do. Although our friend at the LFS said a 25% water change, we are only going to do about 15%.

Do you think this will start the cycle over again?

Hackem688 -

Sorry you learned the hard way. I appreciate your advice.

julie

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

If it were me (and it's not ;)) and I wasn't out of my cycle yet, I'd mix it up all good again and get that crud suspended in the water - and do a 95% water change and just accept a new cycle.

It's going to take a lot of patience and filter cleaning to let that filter out. You may even find that letting it settle will result in a much easier time of stirring it up later (when you're rearranging your rock, for example).

I'm not at all saying this is beneficial - just easier, IMO.

Good luck in any event though!

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Advice? How about you or hubby get an idea that you think is a good one...post first!!

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

wow.