Wavepoint T5HO 48" - what could be wrong???

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by mails2thiagu, Dec 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mails2thiagu

mails2thiagu Feather Duster

Reef Gurus

Need your help again on my Wavepoint T5HO fixture issue. Bought this off craigslist 5 months back and replaced all bulbs(2 * 12K & 2 * actinic). within 2 months, both actinic burned out. Previous owner said fixture is less than year old, so I assuming ballasts are good. Bought new ATI blue bulbs and when all lights are ON, I noticed 12K lights are not as bright when only two of them are ON. It comes with single powercord for all 4 bulbs, so there's no way I can control them. In short, when all four bulbs are ON, brightless is not great and also bulbs burn out soon, so currently running only with 12K bulbs and they are very bright and seems good.

What could be issue??ballasts or something else? Also I am planning to switch to Marineland LED reef lighting, any idea if that will be sufficient for tank,I have only softies.

Wavepoint 48" T5HO fixture

Marineland LED 48" reef lighting

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I am thinking ballasts on the T5.

I think the LED would be fine for softies.

Use a Blue and 12K for the 2 bulbs on the T5. That should be fine for your softies.

4. mails2thiagu

how to check if ballast gone bad?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You need to check the same bulbs on both ballasts. I am wondering if the power connection is bad since it is one cord that powers the whole fixture. Open up the fixture and make sure all wires are tight and all connections are tight.

6. mails2thiagu

no luck..bulbs are working on both ballasts. I tried disconnecting each ballast and connecting again. This is weird, if only two bulbs everything OK, but if all four bulbs are on, they last only for 2 months. just wondering am I supposed to spend 40$ every two months on bulbs or go for new fixture, never thought wavepoint will have such issues :(

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sounds like the unit is bad then. Sorry to hear that.

8. Click Here!

9. mails2thiagu

Thanks 2in10. Appreciate your help. Don't feel like selling bad product to someone, I will keep it as backup and going to order marineland LED.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

2 bulbs will work fine for your needs until you can get the LED. And I think there will be no need to rush to get them either.