Wave maker using Windshield Wiper delay relay?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Dyngoe, Dec 13, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well as a Kid I was and still am a gear head :) Motor's and electricity as well as plumbing and HVAC where my business for 36 yrs before i handed it to my son to run and they where my and life long trades . if one wanted to make what the idea produced then I'd say use a Honeywell Damper control motor has the eccentric cam and gear already to go and runs on 120 ac. Just have to come up with a away to make it move the paddles :) and how to mount them aswell LOL I'd just use a simple flush bucket with a toilet flush valve for the working parts LO<buck fill tank flushes just like an old timey public automatic flushing toilet . Thats a surge/wave :)

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I hope they did but again after the warranty who's going to listen ? Now I now their name is a good one and its on the line But I'll wait for a few thousand to be sold first :) I remember Ford and the Pintos :) and Chevy and the corvairs And Dow A.H Robbins Co and silicone :)

But if its viberating now ? it will only get worse I'm not sure of the RPM involved ? But shaking from cavatation and out of blalance never gets better with use ): It could be the flex of the prop from the pitch causing that ? Water/liquid Pumps use impellers for a reason.. Unless you get into the veined turbo' or the worm pumps a bellows would be good if you could hide it LOL and if frogs only had wings Hunh . :)

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

When i say it vibrates more that my regular PH you have to look at what i replaced with the tunze. A MJ 400, MJ 600 and a mini-jet. All at under 200GPH replaced by the tunze at 660GPH. So yeah it vibrates more than the small PH but i cant say it vibrates more than a PH rated at 660GPH since i dont have one. It can probably be compared to my Aquaclear 702 that i use as a return pump from my sump.

Marc.

5. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

All I have to say is if someone makes this I want to put it against the front of my glass so I don't need to use the magnetic aglae scrapper anymore as well :)

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Now there's an idea! :)

7. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

OK, I talked with a mechanic friend and he believes this is possible. So, I ordered a wiper delay from JCWhitney and I'm going to give it a go. I'll keep you all informed. If it works, it should cost ~$25 in parts to have an adjustable wave maker. Fingers crossed!;D

8. Click Here!

9. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I would like to hear the results on this....

My latest was using 4 modified rotating sprinkler heads (plastic gears) on a closed loop w/ a mag 950, has worked great on a tank for sometime now.

10. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think all is well with your idea, except when the power heads get turned on and off over long periods of time this can cause excessive wear. Powerheads are not made to be turned on and off. The wave makers that you can purchase have special circuits that slowly start the PH's to avoid the instant on and off cycle. Therefore extending the PH's life.:)

11. BCOrchidGuy

BCOrchidGuy Plankton

I've often wondered if a person could build a bracket that would hold your powerhead and move it back and forth with a BBQ rotisserie motor, they are 110v and move nice and slow. I thought about a round wheel with an arm on the outer edge moving a smaller wheel (like the windshield wiper motor).

Doug

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well they have a track lighting system that move up and down the length of the tank to simulate clouds , moving sun and all just set that up and put powerheads on the track and not the lights.