Watts per gallon question

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by mkdsjones, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mkdsjones

mkdsjones Plankton

Hey everyone I've been away from the hobby for a couple of years and am getting back into it. I'm starting a 75 gallon reef tank with a 30 gallon sump. I found a combo metal halide and t5 fixture for a reasonable price on eBay it is 716 watts with 2 250 halides and 4 t5s. Is this too much light for this tank the mounting legs put it 7 inches above the water. Any advice would be great thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

4. mkdsjones

mkdsjones Plankton

Could I run the t5s for the full photo period and just run the halides for let's say 6 hours a day? The fixture is the right price and I want to have more light than not enough just don't want to cook everything.

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

It will work fine for you. Watts per gallon is really an old theory that has really gone out the window with t-5 and MH. It is a lot of light but certainly not overkill.

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Imo you can not over due the lighting. The sun provides way stronger and harsher intensity than we can ever hope to emulate. My main concern for you would be keeping the water temperature in check. I have seen tanks show better results under MH with t5 than something strictly running t5s.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

This is categorically incorrect. You absolutely can overlight a reef tank, especially so if you do not photo acclimate corals properly.