Watts on, Watts off

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JohnO, Jan 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

This same phenomenon exists in the photo industry were flashes are measured by Watts as well were in actuality the valid measurement is foot candles or Luminens. The difficulties and expense of the equipment to properly measure light does not justify using a substandard methods. In the photo industry even though the lighting is measured in Watts it is also referenced to exposure f-stop and shutter speed a distance, thus giving a "real world" usefully reference to the effectiveness of the light. Now we have all seen the lighting comparison charts that clearly render the colour differences and PAR values of differing Ballast and bulbs. now in all cases or at least I've never seen VHO, PC, T5, or NO lighting compared to MH. But are these resources not enough to start using them over WPG.

Light intensity Study
    Lighting Technical Data
    Spectral Analysis of MH Bulbs
    250W bulb Comparison

Advanced Aquarist Lighting Actual Data
    Spectral analysis of 150W MH bulb and Ballasts
    Spectral analysis of bulbs and ballasts

I could go on for ever posting links but you get my point the Data is out there to discontinue using WPG as a measurement of light

Jason

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Jason - Thank you for all the web links, it makes for some interesting reading.
    If the information was put in a nice easy to read spreadsheet with the data that we feel is most important (par values, wavelength in nm, etc.) it would be easier to make an informed decision based on what type of light, the name brand, and ultimately for most of us "economics". Then we could put that under our important topics section of the Reef Lighting Forum. After you or Matt creates it :)

Mojoreef - You only partially answered some of the questions posed and I feel that you have a lot more to contribute. I am especially interested in the pigments and "glowing" colors that we like to look at so much. You just commented on it ever so briefly

Jim

4. Jason McKenzie

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

That's what I wanted... Only not quite so much information. I think for our forums we could leave out all the different types of ballast as there is some difference but not what appears to be a Significant difference. Or we could make 2 spreadsheets one with ALL the info for the techno junkies and one with just the basics. Basics IMO being Bulb Type, Wattage, Manufacturer, and Par values at 6", 12" and 24" Know what I mean? How much information can we borrow from this website without causing a copyright violation? Or do you or a 3reef person know someone that has all this information that we can use and manipulate for our purposes.
    Jim

6. Jason McKenzie

I don't know if "borrowing" someone research and posting it as a thread is something we want to do. Links at least give the author credit. So compiling is links data base is the best we can do. BTW most of the links above are from 3Reef link library :)

J

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I've measured 150w MH, 65w PC, 30w NO, 400w MH and 96w PC. With out posting the data, what do you think the scale goes by? Oh yah, discounting the bulb as well.

Most would say:
    30w NO
    65w PC
    96w PC
    150w MH
    400w MH

My intank tests showed that a 400w with 6 months on it, at a depth of 12", put out far less usable light, then my 150 MH. FAR MORE!

In fact, at the depth measured on the 400w tank, it compared to my friends tank with 2x 55w PC + 2x 30w NO.

So just on the surface, with getting into bulb selection, you can see how wildly bulbs produce usable light. You really think WPG has anything to do with anything?

When I get more time, and I recover from last night, I'll post some data to chew on.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Can't wait Gresham. BTW when are you coming up to Canada to test my tank ;)

J

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=Jason McKenzie link=board=lighting;num=1107241757;start=0#14 date=02/01/05 at 17:01:46]I don't know if "borrowing" someone research and posting it as a thread is something we want to do.  Links at least give the author credit.  So compiling is links data base is the best we can do.  BTW most of the links above are from 3Reef link library :)

J[/quote]

Anything else would be stealing :D I know several of these authors and edittors, I would never allow any borrowing of articles.

If you wanted to take all their info and put it into 1 article, and you foot noted all authors and articles cited, that would be a different story. Every table, graph, etc. would need to be cited as to whom it came from though.

11. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Gresham what was the 400 watt bulb temp?

Mike

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

10K I belive, but I'll have to look at the data later. I know the 150w is a 6500K though.