Water?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Lionking, Dec 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

I am debating on what type of water to use to set up my tank with. My inlaws have well water that goes through a water purifier and that is the water we take back to our house and use in the water cooler to drink. I think the pros for this choice would be no chemicals have been added, but I don't know what hasen't been taken out. Or should I stick with tap water I have, we need to use a water softener due to the hard water here. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

RO/DI water is the way to go.... your sure the water is clean and the salt you add to it will add all the minerals and good stuff you need in it.

Marc.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Just a quick search of E-bay and you can find very inexpensive and good RO/DI units

RO/DI unit

Jason

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I just got a new Aqua Maximus from Aqua-Safe off of E-bay. It was just over $100 delivered. It is supposed to be a 110 gal/day unit and can be used for drinking/cooking water as it has a 4 gal reserve tank. It seems like a quality unit.

Note, it may be my water pressure (which I thought was good), but it's not making anywhere near 110 gal a day. I'm guessing it's more like 75. It's going to take 3 full days to fill my 210. Unless you have super high pressure, plan on buying the biggest unit you can afford. It's really only a few more bucks to go from a 75 gal to 110.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

The difference being, more particulate can get past a 110 gpd than a 75 gpd. Therefore, you will need to replace your DI cartridge more frequently. (assuming your DI cartridge is after you RO membrane.)

Here is the one I have..

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/RKT

:)

It is a very nice unit and i am very pleased... 8) (plus, it's a sponsor)