water vs ice

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by reef_guru, Dec 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

which is more of a solid water or ice?

1. water

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. ice

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

I would say atomic bonds are more interesting :p

2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

now when you say more solid then I would have to say Ice. Because of the 3 states of matter, Solid liquid and gas. A solid can't get more solid then a liquid can be more of a liquid. A liquid can be more fluid then less fluid. Now if you are looking for more of a trick question then it would have to be which is more denser? Then I would have to answer water. Because Ice floats in water. Answer Ice.

Better question. What form of matter is glass? Solid, Liquid or gas.

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Nuclear fusion / fission :2thumbsup

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Hard to answer, as, it contains the properties of both a liquid and a solid. Same as ice. It comes down to splitting hairs - yes, ice is technically a solid. Yes, glass is technically a solid. But when you look deeper at the bonds and their respective molecular properties, glass cannot be classified as either a liquid or a solid.

6. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

I work at a Radiation Oncology Center. Listening to the Dosimetrist speak about Atomic levels and how they do things is freaking amazing. I used to think I was smart untill speaking with him.

Water is yes by far the coolest thing we have. I mean seriously we are like 98% h20.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I agree with this state. luna

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

Exactly. it does not form a crystaline lattice like a solid but its physical properties are that of a solid. Ice on the other hand is undoubtedly solid. Its molecules do form a lattice--unless under tremendous pressure, such as at the bottom a glacier.

10. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

It is a contradictory question. First of all they are both H2O just at different phases so there is really no possible way for water to be "more of a solid" because ice is the solid state of H20 and water is the liquid state. Also by definition ice is a solid because the motion of its particles is mainly vibrational. By definition water is a liquid because the motion of its particles is mostly translational(the particles move around in three-dimensional space).

11. bc219

bc219 Millepora

The question wasn't "which is more DENSE, water or ice?" It was "which is more of a SOLID water or ice?"

There is a big difference between density and solidity! You cannot interchange the words when you are talking chemistry. Ice is the solid state of water. Water molecules are closer together, therefore more dense, however that does not change the fact that density ≠ solidity.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Three states of matter.....Solid, liquid and gas. Ice is solid. Water is liquid. Steam is gas. As mentioned above, density is another matter. But as the question is stated, the answer is ice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.