water test opinions...please

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by earthduzt, Apr 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. earthduzt

earthduzt Plankton

OK so Ive had my tank up and running for about 4 months now...stock is minimum at the moment. Tank Specs are...

55g
    4 x54w T5 lamps
    1 36w acintic blue lamp
    70lbs live rock
    2 Koralia current producers (4 &2)
    Red Sea Berlin X2 Skimmer (rated for 225g tanks)
    1 emperor 400 (no bio wheels, just LR rubble and carbon pads if needed)
    Heater with temp around 79f
    RO water used only and do at least 10% water changes per week sometimes twice a week
    1 tomato clown
    2 firefish
    1 yellow watchman
    1 red stripe angel
    1 LTA
    1 Squamosa Clam
    2 feather dusters
    1 bullseye pistol shrimp

so I tested my water today and my test results came back as this...

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrites: 0ppm
    PH: 8.3 (is that ok?)
    Nitrates: 10ppm
    Calcium: 470
    Phosphate: 0ppm

I know I need to check for Magnesium and Alkalinity, but I will go and buy those tests tomorrow.

Are those good readings, as far as being able to keep coral? I feed my fish a good meal about once every 2 or 3 days and spot feed the clam and dusters plankton once a week.

With those readings is there any wya to guess that my magnesium and alkalinity should be ok? Im trying to get coraline to grow (not wanting to use purple up or anything like that) I have quite a few nice size spots of purple coraline on the rocks that I lightly scrubbbed with a toothbrush to get it to seed. So my params good? Any feedback/suggestions will be pleasantly taken. Thanks!! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Looks good man. 8.3 is fine for ph depending on when you tested. 8.1 is more what you're looking for.

4. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

looks fine to me. what kits are you using? NO3 will have to be reduced for sps corals.

5. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

coraline is a tricky thing to grow. IMO. my biocube which i have had for 1.5 years at least is just starting to grow. then agian my rsm grows the stuff like mad, i havent done a wc too and is be going for 3 months, since start up. it could take some condsiderable time for it to grow.

6. earthduzt

earthduzt Plankton

Im using API test kits, I dont think they make a magnesium one so if anyone has some suggestions on a good mag. test kit Id love to hear about it. Thanks

7. earthduzt

earthduzt Plankton

lol ok, yeah I guess Im just impatient for it to grow...thanks for the heads up...been leaving on the acintic blues during the night, and seems to help out a bit, a few of my rocks are turning like a flourescent green color.

8. Click Here!

9. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

i use salifert kits. not the cheapest thought

10. earthduzt

earthduzt Plankton

oh, heard good stuff about those, will go pick one up tomorrow

11. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I think everything sounds good. Watch those nitrates though you don't seem to have too large of a bioload right now although I'm not sure I would call it light. So I would be careful about that more than anything else personally.

No way to really tell your alk/mag without testing it though, alk being the most important. :)

I'm not sure I would leave a light on all night but maybe that's just personal preference. I'm not sure what it would benefit.

Good coralline growth took a while for my tank even though I had a big rock or two already very well covered in it. It just takes a while for it to spread. Don't worry, soon it will just be a hassle to clean off the glass. ;D
    Keep your main three parameters, alk,ca,mg in place and it should grow.

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi earthduzt

I use the Tropic marin combined Calcium and magnesium test kit - 2 birds one stone

its a little complicated but Im happy with the results / consistency of results I have been getting

Steve