Water temperature??

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Jeffrey750, May 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jeffrey750

Jeffrey750 Astrea Snail

Hi all, I have a 55 gallon acrylic with oversized wet/dry and the coralife power compact 4 double bulb system. My temp over the winter was always between 78 and 79 degrees. Now that's it's been warm out it's been all the way up to 84 degrees. I have fish and all types of corals, is this acceptable temps. I do run air conditioners in the summer, just not hot enough to use yet. What does everyone else do?

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well, 84 is a bit high. I know a good trick is to get a fan and just aim it at the top of the tank. I do that because sometimes my AC blows the fuse box...thats no good. Fans are under rated, just be sure to watch evaporation.

4. Pete

Pete Astrea Snail

works for me

yes, a simple 5.99 fan from wallmart attached to my light canopy works just fine when it gets warm out. I plug it into my timer for my lights so it runs the same time that the lights do.

5. Jeffrey750

Jeffrey750 Astrea Snail

Thanks for responding, my power compact light has a fan built into it already. Are you suggesting additional fan(s)? My evaporation is already horrible enough, I run tank with no tops.

6. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

If the fan built-in to your lights is not doing an adequate enough job of keeping the temp down you are left with little choice. There's basically two ways to go about it:

1. Chiller ($$$$)
    2. Fan

If you could afford a decent size chiller then by all means go for it. If not, then there is no choice IMO but to do the fan thing and top-off as needed.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

+2 on Snakes suggestion. I have four fans that run on my system, two in the canopy when the MH's come on and 2 in the sump that runs 24/7. Evaporation is the only way you are going to cool the tank down any. Heck you can get a good chiller for $500 if you have the money.

8. Click Here!

9. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

The rising temps caught me by surprise as well. I went upstairs last night and found my BTA's not so pleased w/ the 84F water. I grabbed my trusty wally-world cheap-o fan and pointed it at the sump over night and got things back down to where they should be. You might try the same thing with the wet/dry you mentioned. But definitely look into an auto top-off unit. I made my own using the directions from Melev's Reef -- it gives me a lot of peace of mind. Good luck!

10. Jeffrey750

Jeffrey750 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the auto top off site, that looks really simple as I will make one this weekend. Thank you! As for the fans, I will try that before buying a chiller.