water supplements

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by hottielover14, Feb 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

Following along here...thanks for the info Nautilus!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey Dave no need to fight we agreed a while ago if it works for you and mine works for me so be it. LOL I think we agreed that I am always right and you aren't LOL! I have not tried your way and hopefully in the next 2 months I will have a reactor so the point will be moot. As to all the rest of you I say test and experiment and see what you become comfortable with, every tank here is different . Hell even if we all had the same everything they would be different because they have life in them. So find what keeps your livestock alive and USE IT! An old dog food manufacturer once said "The best food on the market for your dog is the one it eats" I think the same is true in aquaria The best product for your tank is the one that keeps it alive and happy

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Phil I don't believe we are fighting here and really don't understand why you would think we are?
    I was saying IMO that if you do things this way you will spend less $$$$$$$$$$ and have a balanced tank without having to measure 50 different bottles of Seachem products which if one were to do this that it would be VERY easy to overdose or under dose.

keep it simple with just products (for those of us without a reactor) and less $$
    1. 2 part Calcium and Alk product. to keep it balanced.
    2. Kent powder Calcium.
    3. Baking Powder and Baking Soda.

LOL Phil most dogs will eat anything... ever watch emergency pet doctors?

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

To be Perfectly clear we are not nor were we ever fighting I was poking fun at the comment:
    "This is where I will fight to the grave.
    IMO.... "
    And that is all just a little fun. I haven't been challenged to a duel to the death in awhile so it was a little gamesmanship if you will. ;D

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Wow Phil is a funny guy. :D

7. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ummm uhoh.. well i am glad i found this site becuase i have been doing what my LFS has told me i huse seachem products and dont test for calcium, stontium or iodide. They told me to just follow instructions on back of bottle. basiclly that one capfull every other day!!!! this is a bad thing huh.

ok.. i just buy a test for these items somewhere? and test my water then? what is a reactor?

8. Click Here!

9. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i dont even know what my levels are suppose to be at

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Doing it your way you will never know what and how much to add.
    It's like someone tells you to get groceries and you come back with apples and what was needed was oranges,

A reefer has to know what the tank needs and the only way to know this is TEST TEST TEST.

11. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

ok so what test kits do u recommend.

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1076974533;start=15#18 date=02/25/04 at 15:52:30]ok so what test kits do u recommend.[/quote]

Calcium test alk test phosphate test pH test or meter & SG.
    Depending if you use RO/DI water and if you don't then test for copper also.
    If a new tank, ammonia and Nitrites and Nitrates should be tests regularly.