Water Shimmer Effect Reduction

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Biocube, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Any idea what optics? Iv been looking but I can't seem to find anything that will disperse the light.

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

4. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Not gonna happen, LOL! Because the light is so spread out with T5's you get very little shimmer. MH and LED both have a lot of shimmer because the the opposite is true...the light is very focused.

Edit: I misread that...I think you are asking what type of LED you can use to supplement the T5's and add some shimmer?

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Would the lenses I posted earlier work?

6. kreator

kreator Flamingo Tongue

Did you try to point your powerheads down, with less movement on the surface that will cut back on the shimmer

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Oh yeah! I even turned off my MP10 and redirected the flow of my return. Still nothing helps

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

get a strip of acrylic a few inches wide and attach it in a way that it sits on the surface of the water directly below the lights to smooth the surface of the water where the light shines through. There will be plenty of area left for surface agitation and oxygen exchange.
    Another idea would be to make something like a camera box with 1 inch sides and attach it in a way so it sits on the top of the water and allows your light to pass through.

Its what I would do

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Okay, thanks! I'll look into to. Would going out and buying lenses for the lights work? Iv seen 80 deg frosted lenses for 1.99 per lens.

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

There's not much you can do here; shimmer is inherent to any point-light source (LEDs, MHs, etc).

What do your optics looks like? Specifically, the clear plastic part. Does it have some features to it, like this guy?
    [​IMG]

Features like this will help, but you can never take the shimmer away from LEDs. Most people like this effect, some do not. This is one reason some people stick with T5s; no shimmer.

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks! I'm okay with the shimmer but would like to tone it down a little. Idk if you watched my video or not.