Water quality

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dinkanber, Oct 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

did you use fresh or saltwater for water changes, with changes you should mix salt to the same SG as the tank before adding....you only top off with fresh water

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

i top off with ro/di and wc with saltwater from lfs who usually has 1.021sg so i add a few scoops of reef crystals salt mix and usually brings it between 1.024-1.025. any thoughts?

really need a better hydrometer. mine is ghetto in tank w suction cup covered with coralline :)

4. brunoboarder244

maybe you topped off with too much freshwater a couple times and ditch the hydrometer get a refractometer, much more accurate

1 person likes this.
  5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

+1 rep. good thinking your probably right. any stores sell a refractometer or mostly online ? 50 bucks would be well worth accuracy

6. brunoboarder244

your best deals would be online, stores jack up the prices a lot as for brand i am not sure but bulk reef supply probably has something reasonably priced

3reef.com - Forums for coral reef aquariums, salt water fish, corals, inverts, protein skimmers, aquarium lighting and more - Coupon Codes

check out there for coupons for our sponsors to save an extra few bucks

7. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

im not sure if you guys saw my question.....do i keep on with the water changes?

8. Click Here!

9. brunoboarder244

i would keep with the water changes every few days until you get the levels to stay down and then switch to a regimen of once weekly or bi monthly or however you want to set it up