Water quality

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dinkanber, Oct 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

if you can get some more ro water try and test it and make sure in the test kit you're as close to the lines on the tubes as possible, if you're off it could make a decent difference and you read the directions also make sure you add the correct amount of drops while holding the test solution completely vertical and follow the directions exactly(like make sure you dont put solution 2 before solution 1 if thats part of the directions) and make sure you let the tube sit long enough to fully mix. other than that i have no idea what else to tell you. you might have to use prime or a similar product to lock up(not remove) the amonia temporarily so its not affecting whats in your tank but prime may slow your cycle if thats what is happening in your tank

2. Click Here!

3. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

Ok. Do I need to do another water change tomorrow? I am going to test again and see if it reads the same.

4. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

If you get the same readings, I would. You may even see a rise in your nitrites due to the bacteria trying to catch up. When my cycle was on the way to finishing, I had 0 AM, but my nitrites were still a .5ppm. Then when that went to 0 my nitrates went up. IMO the bacteria are working on taking care of the problems, you just need to keep the levels down so your livestock won't be harmed.

5. brunoboarder244

I would recommend it

6. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

Do I need to do another change tomorrow? If so how much? Today I did a 10%. I just retested to see if it was the same and it was. So I guess I'm doing the test right. Salinity is at 1.025

7. brunoboarder244

1.025 is exactly where it should be about just make sure when you mix your salt that you test that it is at the same salinity and i guess you're just going to have to ride it out until the tank stabilizes and make sure you keep up with the water changes

8. Click Here!

9. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

If it were me, I would do at least a 20% water change tomorrow. I still suspect that your level NI rose because some of that ammonia got processed overnight. Also, consider getting the buckets and extra water, it will save you some trips to the LFS.

10. brunoboarder244

1 last note test the lfs ro water before adding it to the tank to make sure they arent the problem...a lot of lfs don't change out their ro membranes as much as they should which can cause excess dissolved pollutants to build up

11. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

I will do that. I really thought doing a change today would do it. I guess I was wrong. I think I'll stock up on water.

12. brunoboarder244

you could save money in the long run by saving up for your own ro