Water Parameters

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by BaxterS80, Nov 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

So, I decided to head out to one of our LFS to pick up a few things and while I was there I picked up a Salifert Alk test kit. I have been using their Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphate, and Strontium(Wow, what a hit, $41, and too many agents, LOL). I have been using the API tests for ph, Ammonia, Alk, etc..
    With the API I am getting a reading of 6 and with the Salifert 10.4. I was a bit suspicous that the reading may have been low with the API test...Which one should I trust? Should I get a third? LOL8)

2. Click Here!

3. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Have you got any dKH/alkalinity booster at home?! If yes, just PM me the components. I could help you to prepare some test solution that should have desired dKh and You could benchmark your test!

4. BaxterS80

The Salifert does come with a benchmark supply of water that is at 6.4dkh and when I measured it with the kit it was right on...

5. Camilsky

And what about the API in the same water sample?!

6. BaxterS80

Wow, I did not even think about that...LOL...I just sent you a pm

7. BaxterS80

Well, that is that...I measured the control water(6.4) with the API and it gave me a reading of 5

8. Click Here!

9. Camilsky

Hmm... Please notice that the real dKH can be therefore around 5.5-6.0 : so the arithmetic average of both test! It's very good you have got two independent test! That makes your measurement much more reliable!

Cheers!

10. BaxterS80

I am using the B-ionic 2 part calcium/alk buffers...My parameters are now
    Calcium 440
    Alk 10.4
    ph 8.4
    SG 1.026

I want to maintain the calcium and alk at these levels. What should my dosing regement be now?

11. Camilsky

Hmm... It can be pretty complicated. First off all try to "get to know" your system better.

Assuming your tank is a periodic system you can predict it's behavior and needs. However you first have to learn it's response to different factors ...

For sure ammonia/nitrite/and nitrate will be regulated "automatically".

I can't afford buying these expensive water test (I normally do the analysis in my lab @ work) so I've decided to try to correlate some of the water parameters and predict from these correlations the actual state of the system.

I was measruing 3-4 times every week pH, temp, alk. Ca2+ for 2 weeks. Then I drew few curves: pH vs temp, alk vs pH, Ca2+ vs alk... Since pH/temp/alk are related I can predict at every stage possible drop of alk (these are one of the most expensive tests together with Ca2+) as a function of pH and temp...

However, introduction of any kind of corals (consuming Ca2+, affecting pH and alk) , water change with bad quality RO/DI can make your prediction erratic.

Nonetheless, I think it's quite nice (my beloved experimental) way of learning micro-reef ecology. I think everybody should perform this kind of exercise at some stage...

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  12. BaxterS80

Hey man,
    Thanks for your info...I am learning the balance of the system as time goes by...8)