Water Parameters

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by BaxterS80, Nov 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Well, here it goes another ALK/Carb question....I just did my weekly water change, about 10% and checked my parameters.

Nitrates 0
    PH 8.4
    SG 1.026
    Calcium 420
    Mg 1500
    Alk 6

What's up with the Alkanity of 6 dkh?
    Everything is flourishing in the tank, Corals look great, Fish look happy....
    Not sure what to make of it...

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Yea I'd be interested to hear what people have to say as well. I only recently started testing my dKH and it was low too. Around 7 or 8. I used baking soda to up it and now it's more like 12 or 13. From what I understand, algae doesn't have an easy time growing with higher dKH. That's why I raised mine.

4. BaxterS80

Hey man, yeah i want to see what some of the folks have to say...I have been doing a lot of reading but as always, information overload on the Internet...LOL8)

5. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Chaps!

If I could add my 0.02$:

dKH - carbonate hardness (what we all know) characterizes buffer capacity of your tank. How ?! If there is any source of free H+ (protons that lower the pH) H+ reacts with CO[SUB]3[/SUB]2- (the carbonate anion of which concentration is specified as dKH) yielding HCO[SUB]3[/SUB]- (so called hydrocarbonate anion). In this particular way your free protons (that cause the drop of pH) are in bound state and they can't cause the drop of pH! Therefore carbonate CO[SUB]3[/SUB]2- buffers your water. The higher the concentration of CO[SUB]3[/SUB]2- the bigger buffering capacity/power of your water and the bigger value of dKH. It is important to have considerably high dKH because together with high value of it the general/effective stability of your water ecosystem is elevated.

I hope this explains the importance and the concept of dKH !

1 person likes this.
  6. BaxterS80

Thanks, man...Now what should I do?

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Uhhh, what?!

8. Click Here!

9. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Primary school chemistry course + elements of some scondary school chemistry classes:

click here

Enjoy :D

I would go for dKH increasing buffer solution. The trick is You would like to introduce carbonates maintaining Ca2+ concentration on constant level!

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Simple chemistry aside alk and Carbonates demands of a system do not ever remain at a constant level unless the tank is dead. as corals and coralline grow they require more of them both as well as the emulsifier magnesium.. That keeps them both in solution and playing well with one another's Double or triple the amount you does what worked last month may not be enough this month..
    We at home used to be able to maintain the levels via just pouring buffers and ca into the tank then a Cal reactor was needed then I had to add a Lime water reactor for all my make up water along with the Ca reactor now I have to does again by hand every few weeks as a boost to get the levels back to where I run mine at.. Also may want to look at your strontium levels ???

1 person likes this.
  11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Is this english?:confused: Can it be translated for a six yr old can understand?

12. BaxterS80

Hi Tangster, was hoping you were going to chime in here. I just picked up a Salifert Strontium test kit about a week ago. I will test for that. I have been using B-ionic 2 component system. I added the recommended dosage of the Alkalinity buffer and was able to raise it 1 dkh. Since it says to add no more then on ml/gallon a day. I will add another dose tomorrow. Is this how I should approach it?8) hey, btw tell me about your store.....
    Thanks