Water Paramaters

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Subrad5446, Oct 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef.

Have you considered getting your own test kits? Most do have there own basic test kits.

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Two things I've noticed from this thread (even though I'm late to the discussion)

A) You really should get your own test kits and run it yourself. As you can see, LFS stores can't always be trusted when it comes to testing. If you want accurate answers, it's best to test yourself and make sure your test kit isn't expired.

B) To lower salinity, which I think is what you are asking for, you will need to remove saltwater from the tank and add fresh RO water back. Similar to how you top off for evaporation loss. Do this in small amounts at a time until you hit the desired salinity. Let your tank mix the water around for a few minutes to half an hour or so, to make sure you get an accurate reading, and then test your salinity again. Repeat until you hit the desired level.

4. Subrad5446

Subrad5446 Plankton

I do already have my own test kits, but I find them innaccurate. I want to get one of the machines. Just like the floating hydrometers when your treating with hypo, they're not good enough, you need a refractometer. Anyway, it's been quite some time now. Everything is on the road to being squared away, I have hospital tanks set up, so I *shouldn't* have to worry about it anymore.
    Really glad you guys answered today. It's getting close to time to start raising salinity. Haven't seen any signs of ich in over a week. DT has been fallow for 3 weeks. I mangaed to figure out how to drop it safely by doing the math, but for some reason I wasn't confident with my math on the raising it. Thanks guys!