Water level issue

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by VT rules, Mar 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

Okay, I need some help. The u-tube seems to be pretty clean. I checked it out and got the flow started again about 5 days ago. I also cleaned my stockman pipe (not sure of the name) that I have in my overflow for noise dampering. After doing this I still needed to dial the return pump down a bit. It's been pretty steady since then until tonight. It was getting ready to come spilling over the top again so I tweaked the flow on the return pump down again. This is working okay but I do seem to be having trouble getting the overflow rate = return rate. This is making me nervous, anyone have a clue as to what is going on and why this would change after a year of working fine?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

I'm struggling with this little dilemma, any thoughts on this?

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

5. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

I've actually removed my standpipe. It did help a bit but I if I open the ball valve on the return pump all the way up (like it has been for the past year) it will still flood the main tank.

BTW: There is nothing clogging it.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You either have air or something is lodged in the pipe somewhere, snail, LR something.:-/

7. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

How do I get the air out? I've taken the u-tube out once and got the suction started again. Didn't seem to make a difference.

8. Click Here!

9. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm wondering if you're getting voltage spikes that could be causing the pump to run faster at times. Is there any particular time of the day that the water in the tank starts to rise - like after your lights go off or some other high drain appliance shuts down?

10. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

Not that I can tell, the water level just seems to rise after a day or two.

11. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Have you checked that there is no sludge build up or something in the in tank overflow box. If the U tube does not have good clearance between the tube and the bottom of the box the water will not enter it as well. Either clean out the sludge or if ya have the kind of in tank overflow box that is suctioned to the glass you can move it down a tad and see if that gives the clearance needed. This will also lower the water level in the tank a bit maybe.

Just a shot in the dark.

good luck.