Water is going down in my tank?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by miataliker, Dec 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miataliker

miataliker Flamingo Tongue

Alright so i have had my tank up for atleast a month now and my water is going down. Is it because of my protein skimmer? Cause it tends to have water in the waste bucket that sits on the skimmer. Should i do a water change with saltwater or the RO water by itself?

2. Click Here!

3. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Has the water evaporated? if so add RO water. If your skimmer is still breaking in and is filling the collection cup then add RO & salt. Check your salinity :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Your water is evaporating. You need to top off with fresh RO/DI water every few days depending on your water level. An ato is best as it keeps your levels stable and you don't need to worry about it as much.

5. miataliker

Yeah its evaporating. The bucket on my skimmer is collecting this greenish looking water in it.

6. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

How big is the tank? I have a 210 gal. system and it evaporates about 25 gal. a week in winter because it is so dry here...

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Those are two different things. Evaporation is when water moves from the tank into the air, making it more humid, and will happen to a tank nearly regardless as to the climate. This water needs to be replaced with super purified water, called RODI water.

On the other hand, the greenish stuff is skimmate, and it's normal for a skimmer to remove this gunk. This water needs to be replaced with fresh saltwater mixed to the same salinity level as your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. miataliker

My tank is a 29 gal. So do i just add RO/DI water or do i add in the salt with it too? Oh and one more thing, do i need to do a water change?

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Just add RO/DI water. When the water evaporates it leaves the salt behind. So if you add saltwater, your salinity will get way too high.

11. miataliker

Thanks alot guys. That really helped. So when do i start doing water changes?

12. Tbstr3

Tbstr3 Skunk Shrimp

10% a week if possible until its well established

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.