Water flow question

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by milesm4, Jan 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

I'm looking for some advice. I have a 90 gal glass tank with a sump and refegium. I'm looking to add more flow right now I have two 3/4 inch sea-swirls right now. The problem is with my tank being 2 feet tall there are some dead zones near the bottom in the center. The pump running my sea-swirls is a beast 1600 gph I believe. What I'm thinking of doing is adding a Gen-X PCX 40 that I have laying around and making a spray bar type of thing for the center. Anyone else have any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

If it were me I'd add a couple of powerheads at the bottome behind your rock. Aim them at the side wals for wrap-around current and put them on a wave timer or add a hydor. Then, have them go off at night. Low level corals grow to anticipate lower current flow at night. That's just my $.02.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Positioning a powerhead in the center of your tank on the back glass...Have it blow and bounce off the front glass and that will offer a good water flow. You don't want to have a powerhead blow directly on a coral at full force and the way i just described to you will offer your tank and corals a nice consistent flow.

5. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

Do you think I could just make something out of pvc like a 3/4 90 and place it on the back glass and get the same effect? I just would really like to get a good flow and that Gen-X puts out 1150 gph at 3 feet 3 inches I believe.

6. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Miles,

If you are good with PVC, then by all means use the Gen-X. Less heat and better flow. I personally like clear acrylic tubing from TAP because it disappears in the tank. But, PVC can also be hidden well. If you do go with PVC, just remember to get IPS not SCH40. IPS is much thinner walled, lighter, easier to heat and bend to name a few. Also, give youself some external ball joints to control the flow. Besides that, have fun.

7. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

Thanks for the advice on not using sch 40 I'll make something this up-coming week and post the pics. I hadn't even thought of the heat issue, all good points thanks again.

8. Click Here!

9. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

this what I have so far
    [​IMG]