water displacement calculator

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by jonathan, Sep 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

has anyone seen or know a link to a calculator that offers figuring out water volume after water displacement due to live rock? (emptying out the tank, measuring water and placing back into the tank is obviously not an option :) )

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

There is noway to calculate that.. The density of different rocks would have a major effect . Why would you have to know that ? I have setup hundreds if not thousands of tanks and that was never a conceren..Just curious myself.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  4. jonathan

the number may not be exactly precise but there has to be a way to determine water displacement after a certain amount of mass (live rock) has been placed into a enclosed system. i'd like to know how much water volume i have in my tank for additive purposes....i could say 15 gallons but it's probably more along the lines of 10-12 gallons...i just wanted to be somewhat sure and i thought there may be a calculator out there that could perform this....

5. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Ther Is So Much Rock In My Tank I've Often Wordered How Much Water I Actually Have In There- A Good Question But One I Don't Know The Answer To- Things That Make You Go Hmmmmm!

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well I suppose you could take a container of water filled to the top and then add some rock that you have weighed to it and than measure the amount of water that was displaced by the weight of the rock you added to get an estimated formula. John

7. jonathan

thanks john (...or fletch), i appreciate the feedback. i'll have to give it a whirl.

jonathan

8. Click Here!

9. Ph4Y5e

Ph4Y5e Astrea Snail

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I went and looked at that calculater. While I thank you for finding it an sharing it with others, Tangster is correct and it's not really useful. Fletches way is pretty much the only way. Here's why. The density of LR will determine it's mass. I have HUGE pieces of Marshall Island and Fiji that don't weigh nearly as much as a lot of the Florida maricultured LR in much smaller sizes. The maricultured rock is not very porous at all and is responsible for people thinking they need to have large quanties of rock per gallon of water. If you have porous rock, much of the water will reside within the rock as opposed to around it. Internal surface area means more space for bacterial biofilms and less mass needed for a particular bioload.

11. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Any answer

Curious if you came up with something of a constant for your rock that we might be able to use for calculation. Did you come up with a a formula?

12. musicmembrane

musicmembrane Plankton

Did you ever get your answer on the calculation?

Let me know I may be able to get you close :confused: