Water Cloudiness Overnight

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by revjay, Dec 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. revjay

revjay Astrea Snail

My 65 gallon tank has become cloudy in less than 24 hours. I've checked my Ammonia/Nitrate levels the past 2 days and they're both in acceptable range. I last did a water change on 11/23/10. Skimmer is working OK. What could be causing this?

2. Click Here!

3. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

What do you have for corals it is possible they spawned(sp). I had it happen along time ago and was freaked out but it cleared up after a day or two. It was a grand mystery to me also nothing went out of wack for me just milky white tank.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

two usual causes are:
    1. bacterial bloom.
    2. calcium precipitating out of the water column.

Have you added anything recently that would fuel bacteria or anything that may have Ca in it? Do you know your pH as a major swing in pH can occasionally cause some Ca to precipitate.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Acceptable range for ammonia is 0. Sometimes bacterial blooms can cause ammonia. Since this is not a new tank, I agree check the pH and ca levels.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Agreed with this. I had some cloudliness when I added too much soda ash at one time and my PH shifted and Ca precipitated out, or, if you don't have enough surface area for the bacteria, they will take to the water column.

7. revjay

revjay Astrea Snail

Sorry for my delay in replying, we've been out of town. I concluded it was an algae bloom, which is confusing because I wasn't really having any sort of an algae problem. I just did a 10% w/c and turned the light timer off for 2 days while we were out of town. It fixed it. Thanks for your input!