water chemistry mngmt with huge populations swings

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by lzmiami, Feb 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lzmiami

lzmiami Plankton

I currently supervise facility where we are housing Jonah crab for research. We have 2, 50 gal tanks and 1, 125 gal tank. These are commercial tanks with bio wheels and protein skimmers. We can receive up to 30 large crab every 2-3 weeks. A huge load on our systems. The population declines, and then we order more. My job is to keep the crab healthy.

The products we started using were not cutting it, so I won't mention them. I have been exploring new products to maintain our water quality and especially nitrates at an acceptable level. We pretty much have ammonia and nitrites at 0. I have started using Waste Away but with animals coming in batches, I am not certain if the recommended dosing is the best way for us to handle it.

I am not sure who else would deal with set up like this, you wouldn't do it by choice! Perhaps commercial vendors have similar situations? Any suggestions, or references would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to 3reef.

Waste away is one of Dr.Tims products, he is a sponsor here on 3reef. I suggest creating a thread on his forum:

DrTim's Aquatics - 3reef Reef Aquarium Forum

All that aside, it sounds like a very interesting job you have.

Have you consider the use of algae turf scrubbers?

I can also move this current thread to Dr.Tims forum if you like.