Water changes???

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rewris, Dec 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rewris

rewris Skunk Shrimp

Guys, it's just occured to me that I haven't changed water in about 6 months in my year old system that's evolved a couple times over that last year.

I ran into heat problems a while back and stopped changing water cause it was already evaporating so fast.

Should I restart the practice, is it mandatory, or atleast integral to maintaining stability?

Background info:

Haven't had any sign of ammonia, nitrites, or anything voer 0.10 in nitrates in months.

Outside of trying to get calcium and alkaline steady, I really haven't had any problems with chemistry or toxins.

55 gallon tankw ith 30g sump, about 75 gals volume over all.

2. Click Here!

3. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

I think water changes may not be necessary but are definitely beneficial

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

theres quite a few who dont do regualr water changes. if your water is stable , youve obviously got some good things going on. if keeping corals, you need to supplement what they are using up. calcium and mag mainly. and keeping your dkh stable.

5. dirtysumpguy

dirtysumpguy Plankton

I agree with bluetang08.

But if you're not supplementing and it's a reef system, the corals are going to be pulling things out of the water that need to get replaced - so I would say yes, they are mandatory IF your not supplementing something. (things that I can think of off the top of my head that are needed by corals: Ca, Mg, strontium, alkalinity, etc)