Water Changes

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Land_Fish, Dec 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Nautilus,

In essence the advice from the LFS is very good advice indeed, for someone with a new tank or someone who is uncertain about what is happening or even someone who doesn't really want to know how it works and just wants to keep pretty fish. It is also good advice for his wallet as he gets to sell more salt :)

I just believe that after the initial cycle of problems you have with a new tank, and it approaches a balance, that there is no longer a need to change water on a regular basis and so far no one has been able to give me a good reason why I should.

Strontium huh LOL

Tell me, do you have a Strontium test kit? If so, what levels of Strontium do you maintain in your tank?

In water Strontium replaces Calcium, meaning that some Corals and Coraline will use Strontium in the same way they use Calcium. This means you would have gotten the same result just by raising the Calcium levels

BTW, referring to the Alk-Calc chart that Randy produded. Don't be afraid to go higher in your Alk-Calc levels and you will have more Coraline than you can handle :)

John

ps. The reference to the Strontium replacing Calcium comes from the book "Aquarium Corals, selection, husbandry and natural history" by Eric Borneman. If you haven't got a copy I highly recommend it

jo

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Thanks JohnO.

Good day to you Mate.... :D

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Water;num=1073523216;start=30#41 date=01/12/04 at 03:45:12]Thanks JohnO.

Good day to you Mate.... :D[/quote]

G'Day to you too cobber :)

I hope all your chooks don't turn into emus and kick down your dunny door

John

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

LOL... what he said...... :D

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[smiley=laughing015.gif] [smiley=laugh3.gif] [smiley=laughcry.gif] [smiley=LolLolLolLol.gif]

7. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I have a much smaller tank than JohnO, but I like the philosophy. Sometimes we get too caught up in the details. 20 years ago, I had a 55 gal, saltwater, fish only, and never had a water change. I'd occasionally (~1 per month) siphon stuff off of the bottom and then add a gallon or two to replace the water that I had lost.

8. Click Here!

9. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

On my 20H i change 5 gallons out per week, and on my Ten Gallon I change 2 gallons out per week. Ofcourse i dont use a skimmer which is why i do regular and rather large water changes. But by doing the math a 10% bi monthly or even a 10 % weekly water change is really not much help in nutirent export or even replenishing any trace elements to any significant level. If your nitrates are 5ppm and you do a 10% water change that will only drop them to 4.5 ppm. and so on. That also applies to addition of trace elements also. I do use Kalk for Top offs.

10. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

I have had my tank up and running since July 3rd. I have done 2 water changes of less than 15% on a 90gal with a 29 gal sump, only to add water when needed. My level are perfect. Would i do more no unless my level start changing and i see something i don't like. Changing water can get compulsive and IMAO is not needed if your level are fine.