Water Changes

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Land_Fish, Dec 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

I used to lmore water changes then I do now due to the fact that the reward wasn't worth the risk. I do supplement with seachem, used to be a kent man but after being at this site awhile thought I would try seachem and save the pennies difference. One of the things a lot of people don't consider is if it isn't broke don't fix it. If you have cycled the tank, aren't over feeding (we all overstock) and the tests come out right why run the chance of adding a problem? I use ro water, keep the salt clean and dry, use an isolated bucket (only for the tanks!) but still don't like to do more then monthly water changes. Unless there is a problem then a 20% water change is the first attempt to cure the tanks ills. I should also note that if I miss a water change its not a big deal and I wait till the next time and stay on schedule. I was running a 125 with no water changes for 1 year just top off water and the thing ran great no deaths, exceess algae, and great growth it was an experiment and I didn't see a difference and thats where my theory on water changes comes from.
    Thanks for listening.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[move][glow=green, 20, 300]Phil, Read this article and then read it again. I go back to it all the time to re-read it.[/glow][/move]

Click here to read the article

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Nautilus,

That is one of my favourite articles as it makes the relationship between Alk and Calc easier to understand.

Which part of the article were you particularly referring to?

John

5. Phil5613

First slick graphics Mr. grphics guru!
    Second Ihave read the article before (You posted it in reponse to the Ph drop thread)
    Third I like my water change schedule of Once a month and until something blows up i don't want to change Many Many moons of luck with it.
    I don't have a ph problem and alk/cal is dead on with my schedule the only thing is i want to add a reactor in the near future to cut down on my dosing regiment.
    As far as seachem products I must admit after i sorted out my dosing schedule I am getting better results then I ever did with Kent.
    This is one time (the first if I recall) that I say yours works for you and mine works for me. And i always say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Thanks

By the way did I say cool Graphic? :D
    Iam sooooo JEALOUS! :p

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Phil,
    First of all you have the same options for those graphics if you click on reply under each post.
    Were you using the Kent turbo calcium POWDER? This is one calcium additive that Randy suggested we use. I am not a chemist by no means but a 2 part calcium alk additive like B-Ionic and Calxmax is better than buying 4 or 5 bottles of seachem products or any other products for that matter.
    When using a 2 part calcium and alk additive the only other supplement I use is Turbo Calcium by kent which is just for those days when the calcium needs a boost. (Randy said there are 2 types of calcium and the other type is not good)
    I have found this saves me $ in the long run also.

if you want something to move across the page use [*move] [/*move] without the "*"

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

John O,
    Well I have not tested but thinking that if we as reefers could keep our tanks within the box that Randy has there then the need for water changes would far and in between.
    The bigger the tank the less one would have to adjust. I am trying to find the perfect solution to keeping my tank and inmates happy with the least effort.

I believe that additives like seachem and others are the cause of most aquariums crashing as we (most of we) do not understand all the chemicals we are putting into our tanks which if not done correctly will crash a tank.

Why buy 6 additives when you can buy just 1 and save money and have a healthier tank?
    use a 2 part Calcium and alk supplement as suggested by Randy and countless others and your tank will balance out and make your life so much easier.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Phil
    I don't have a ph problem and alk/cal is dead on with my schedule the only thing is i want to add a reactor in the near future to cut down on my dosing regiment.

I hear ya on that one. My concern here is the CO2 you have to add to it. You have to add a CO2 bottle right?

[move]Dave[/move]

10. Phil5613

Yes a co2 bottle is needed and yes your concern is right. I have not played with a reactor yet so have no answers for you yet, but plenty of questions. When the time comes I plan on experimenting plenty in a seperate
    environment before tying into my system. I also plan on leaning on anyone here that has reactor knowledge for support.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Water;num=1073523216;start=30#35 date=01/11/04 at 07:07:04]John O,
    Well I have not tested but thinking that if we as reefers could keep our tanks within the box that Randy has there then the need for water changes would far and in between.
    The bigger the tank the less one would have to adjust. I am trying to find the perfect solution to keeping my tank and inmates happy with the least effort.

I believe that additives like seachem and others are the cause of most aquariums crashing as we (most of we) do not understand all the chemicals we are putting into our tanks which if not done correctly will crash a tank.

Why buy 6 additives when you can buy just 1 and save money and have a healthier tank?
    use a 2 part Calcium and alk supplement as suggested by Randy and countless others and your tank will balance out and make your life so much easier.[/quote]

Nautilus,

In an earlier message that's exactly what I wrote, that all I measure for and maintain is Alk, Calc and Mag.  I also use the exact charts you are referring to.  However I don't understand how this has anything to do with water changes.  Maybe you could explain further as I must be missing something.

What causes tank crashes my friend is not the additives, it is listening to all the bad advice that is around the Internet, compiled by so-called experts.

It wasn't that long ago that we all desired a DSB for example.  We followed the advice and lo and behold the very experts that promoted DSB's now say they WILL crash after 5 to 7 years.  Why?  Not because they will admit they were wrong in the first place! It's because of the heavy metals in the salt!  RUBBISH!

There is so much "half" information floating around the place it is astonishing.

Anyway, I agree fully with Phil5613 "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

John

[move][glow=red, 2, 300]it's easy if you know how![/glow][/move]

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

John,

Well a LFS is always telling me to change water every week and I want to to the right thing for my tank and in mates I have. I keep reading what Randy has to say and Keep thinking that water changes (what was hammered into me) was a good thing to do.

I have felt that water changes (here recently) are some times a bad thing and will throw your Ionic balance out of wack so this is why all my questions to you the person that never changes water.

I have gone 3 weeks now without a water change and everything is looking well.
    By the way I have a 2.5 inch sand bed in some places I would guess 3 inches.

I have also heard that a balanced mature tank will produce strontium and we should not have to add any. Once or twice a month I have been adding Kent powder strontium and see Coraline growth all over the place. whats your thought on this?

[move] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=hehe.gif] [/move]