Water Changes

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by m_lacom99, Aug 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

John, if you wait to get a bad reading it may be too late. I say to do a water change on a regular schedule and take no chances of water quality going to pot. I say you will be better off to keep the water changes going instead of waiting for something to go wrong and then your in a hussle to get RO together and get it mixed and get it changed. There are so many differing opinions on this. M lacom99, you just need to test it out and see what works best for you. I know alot of people who do a 10 gallon monthly water change on a 100 gallon tank and have great success. I also know people who have tried to get away with no water changes and there tank has crashed. Your friend isn't doing a water change because when water evaporates it leaves everything solid behind. As birdlady told you the salinity levels will rise as water evaporates because the salt is not leaving the water it's staying behind. So is ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and phosphate. Keep us posted on your decisions.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Reefman,

I respect your opinion, and certainly agree with most of what you are saying :) The issue I have is with regular water changes for no other reason other than someone somewhere told you it was what you have to do to be successful.

I also know a lot of people in this hobby and know a lot of people who never do regular water changes and have magnificent tanks. I have also seen tanks that have crashed where people have done regular water changes. It's a pointless arguement. :)

If you or anyone else wants to do regular water changes then I have no problem at all, and certinly will not try to disuade you from going down that road. My only objection is the all too often heard statement that water changes are an essential maintenance task. IMHO they are not!

In fact, consider this statement from SF above

" The idea is the less the parameters are changing the less stressful it is to the fish "

Think about that for a moment and you tell me why it's wrong. :)

Sorry SF, this isn't picking on you BTW :)

Anyway, like I said, I'm not advocating that you or anyone else change their methods, more power to you for having the confidence of keeping up a regular maintenance routine. However, I have never read or heard a substantial reason why regular water changes are necessary.

John

4. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I personally have tried going once a month and just occasionally, but have better success with the weekly 5 as mentioned above. It's not set in stone, if I miss a week I don't stress my self. Also it's just what I've pretty much always done and I almost automatically do it. M lacom99, as said above you should try a few different things and see what works for you. In the end that's what it all comes down to. Try doing a regular weekly and then slack off and see if everythings ok with it. If not keep up the weekly changes. If so just do a monthly change or bi weekly or not at all if you feel comfortable with that.

5. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

[smiley=argue.gif]Dejavu [smiley=argue.gif]

[smiley=dizzy2.gif]

John Q states "It's a pointless arguement."

I agree but it is a good discussion as long as it stays that way.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

SF

LOL

What I meant was referring to the experiences of others was a pointless arguement as we can all related tales or glory or woe in this hobby :)

Be assured SF, I regard this as a discussion as I never argue, except with myself sometimes LOL ( or Annick, but she's different )

John

7. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Isn't that a sign of old age  ;)

reread your post and I get it now, I'm not known for being quick.  :-[

This is me after someone says a joke [smiley=idea2.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I knew the shoes would arrive ;D ;D ;D

This is why I love Three Reef!! No one ever really argues, flames, or gets downright mad! It is always a civil discussion of many points of view......none of which are ever all right nor all wrong, but varing shades of grey!!!

Love you guys here!!!!! [smiley=beatnik2.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=book2.gif] [smiley=computer.gif] [smiley=idea.gif] [smiley=iloveyou.gif]

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Case in point.........Mojoreef.....

http://mojoreefs.homestead.com/files/newsite/index1.html

hasn't done a water change in like...4 years.... :D

I don't think anyone would claim he is not successful! However, if I, with my 60 gallon system and very little automation, tried to do the same, it would not yield the same results, I am sure! ::)

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

BL,

There certainly is some automation in Mikes case, plus a lot of horsepower as far as filtration is concerned. But the real essence is Mikes passion and his attention to detail.

John

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oh, No Doubt there! His set up is just stunning! I wish....... (slaps self back into reality) :D