Water Changes Needed or Not. Please Vote!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ComputerJohn, Jul 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How often do you do a water change?

1. I have NEVER done a water change.

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. I do one once a week.

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. I do one once every two weeks.

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. I do one once every three weeks.

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. I do one once every month.

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. I do one once every three months.

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. I do one once every six months.

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. I do one once a year.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

I recently visited inland aquatics and they say with their ATS system they haven't changed water since 1993.
    Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9670; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.522 Mobile Safari/534.8+

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

In this hobby with situations like this where there isn't any concrete proof one way or the other, i just go with my gut feel. For this one, my gut feel is that a tank full of corals will benefit from a frequent infusion of "fresh" salt water (oxymoron). However, i have never tried it without doing water changes so.....

4. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm currently on about a 3 gal WC every other week schedule on a 29G BioCube. I've been doing it mostly because [STRIKE]everyone[/STRIKE] most people say it's tantamount to fishicide not to do so.

I have wondered what the science is behind the water change and have made the assumption that it's essentially to replace trace elements... Is there any research or hard data that spells it out anywhere?

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yes, there is quite a bit. These are some hobby level articles, related to filtration and water changes. These describe some of this research and science and should provide additional links and references if you are motivated to do a lot of reading.... These describe both the good and bad BTW.

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/4/short

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/9/aafeature

Down the Drain, Exports from Reef Aquaria by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

What is Skimming? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Feature Article: The "Old Tank" Syndrome — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Feature Article: Old Tank Syndrome — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Edit: another good one that may not have been referenced elsewhere:
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/12/aafeature

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I don't think that you should NEVER change it, but very rarely. I have 2 tanks that maybe get a 10% every couple months. People say its more "stable" with regular wc, but how can it be stable when you introduce water that could be off in ph, temp, etc.? Lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I share the opinion of enough biological filtration and a skimmer take the need of water changes almost completely away. I never changed the water in my 46, I hardly ran the skimmer either. But it did have 80+ lbs of rock and a DSB in the display with a fuge containing another 4" DSB and 15lbs of rock. I would dose the minimum of Kent's Coral-Vite once a week and dripped kalk. I had perfectly normal, if not above average growth of all SPS the entire life of the system.

This is a subject that boils down to personal preference and choices. What works for one person will probably not work for another. For the beginner I will always recommend either 10% weekly or 20% bi-monthly w/c.

8. Click Here!

9. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks M. Commencing reading....

10. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

You test the water to make sure that it is not off in ph, temp, etc. before you add it.

11. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Yes I know this. But how many people ACTUALLY test their new water? My guess is most people don't. And even if you do, can u match the ph EXACTLY? Does everyone get the temp within a tenth of a degree? My point is when you do water changes you can attempt to match the water in your tank, but if you don't do a water change at all, you avoid any swing in tank parameters at all. So that's why I don't agree with people saying regular water changes help keep your tank stable when actually its just introducing a variable.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i think that you have swings in your parameters whether you do water changes or not. Are you telling me that your PH does not change at all throughout the day?