water change

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by cassidyarizona, Oct 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cassidyarizona

cassidyarizona Plankton

ive got a question everyone tells me to do water change every month, i have 80 gallon tank with it filled with live rock, have never done a water change, seems like iam always having to add 5 gallons ever two weeks. My tank seems to be doing good have a light flim on top of water is that normal

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The light film is protein and normal but not wanted. Point your water circulation devices toward the surface to break the film up. An overflow works best to remove the film.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Most people do about a 10%WC every-other week. 5g top-off for an 80g(evry2 weeks) sounds about rite. You could set up an ATO bucket so you don't have to top-off yourself anymore.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

+1 on 2in10. Also, I hope that you're topping off those 5 gallons with plain water, not mixed salt water. Otherwise, you're going to have your salinity slowly climb higher to dangerous levels.

1 person likes this.
  6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

To keep your salinity stable you should top off more often than once every two weeks. Topping off every few days is much better for your tank.

7. cassidyarizona

cassidyarizona Plankton

thanks for your help will top off every other day thats problelly why my colt coral was looking to bad water level dropped to low

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Yes, that would probably be why. As your water level goes down, Specific Gravity goes up.

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I believe your original query was about water changes. Some never do them, some every other week, some once a month and some like myself go every 6 weeks. It depends on your particular set up and whether you have the appropriate filtration for the water change (or lack of it) schedule you wish to employ.

11. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Doing water changes is really up to you. I do them when I feel like it or when I am adding something to the tank. You need good filtration to do less WC's IMPO. I would recommend topping off everyday. The more stable you can make the tank the better it will do IMPO.