Washed out colors

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by adicus, Aug 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

I need to perk up the colors of my corals. Greens, reds, blues, oranges all appear washed out.

I'm using:
    Two IceCap PRE WIRED 36" 4 Lamp T5 Retrofit Kits. Two Ecoxotic Panorama 12W LED fixtures (One with 12 453nm Blue LED and one with 8 white and 4 453nm Blue LEDs)

T5 Bulbs are also IceCap:
    2 - 12k
    2 - 14k
    2 - Actinic
    2 - Twilight

Please note that the T5's are overdriven.

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

how old are the bulbs? Overdriven bulbs only last 6 months (tops). Are there fans blowing on the bulbs? When overdriving bulbs you have to use fans to keep them cool or else their lifespan will decrease to more like a few months. I am not familiar with twilight bulbs. What are these? You seem to have a lot of yellow/white light. This can easily overpower your actinic bulbs.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

From what I get you have about 1/2 daylight and 1/2 actinic/blue. I've had this same problem with my t5s, I've tried lots of different combos but to no great success. That's why I bought a MH setup to try that out. I know T5s can give good colors, but I haven't had the success I want. Thus the move.

Do keep in mind that overdrive bulbs also have their spectrum shifted a little.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have no idea what color the bulbs look like when lit. Please give a description.

6. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Thanks for the input GuitrMan. According to IceCap, the bulbs are designed to be overdriven citing specifically the use of their 660 ballast which is what I have. I include a link to the specifics of the bulbs in my response to 2in10 below. Based on their statement, I would expect the spectrum to meet their advertised specs. Perhaps a little ambitious on my part.

7. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

2in10 - I've included a link to the specs on the bulbs which give the spectrum:
    Color Accurate T5 lamps

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Didn't know Icecap was doing that. My guess though is that overdriving will still shorten the life of the bulb as to my knowledge, it's not the filament but the age of the phosphors that cause the color shift.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

what are your parameters?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You may just have too much light.

Are the washed out corals SPS, LPS or softies?

12. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

Ditto, check on phosphates and nutrient level in your system.