Warranty replacement ~ am i happy?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by 0HaleNo, Mar 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 0HaleNo

0HaleNo Astrea Snail

The retro 250 kit we bought bit the dust within 3 months! :angry:
    (Already had a new bulb shipped to us because the box did NOT include it like it said... were supposed to have a 14K which is what we wanted... recieved a 20K as replacement... ok... NP.) ;)
    We notified them again when it bit the dust & were told that they don't make that ballast any longer & will notify us when they determine what they are going to do... :-/
    Monday we were notified that we were getting a new unit completely. ;D
    It came Friday... 8)
    Rip open the box like Christmas to get this thing up cause the anemone has disappeared & my Monti has turned almost white. :(
    It's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SETUP!:confused:
    The original I had mounted in a makeshift frame until the overhead cabinet piece was finished. (Already started the project too)
    The NEW unit is a plastic mount-on-the-side-with-screw-down-bolts that has a fan & 2 LED moonlights built in. :eek: Viper Deluxe HQI Clamp Lamp

I DO NOT like the fact that the entire unit is top heavy & screws down to the pressure the edge of the tank. I DO NOT like that the fan does not aim as low as I would like. I DO NOT like that the fan cage blocks the LED's. I DO NOT like that if something SHOULD give, the whole unit would topple into the tank.

What I DO LIKE is the color in the tank! 8)
    LOVE the 14000 MUCH better than the 20000!
    LOVE the moonlights! (which I was going to install into the overhead cabinet)
    LOVE the compactness of everything in 1 unit.

I'm not sure what my decision is yet. I can't decide! This thing hanging over the top of my tank is making me really nervous. Just not used to it.

Anyone have a CLAMP LAMP that sleeps well at night knowing it's hanging over the top of your fishies??? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Anyway to put legs on it so it actually sits on the rim? Or hang it from the ceiling?

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I made a stand out of wood, 2x4's that looks like a big 'H', that goes behind my tank. It hangs my new LEDs- 2 of them very nicely.

Don't know if that would work for your app however, just trying to throw good ideas your way.

Good luck.

PS- I went from the older style Power compacts- which were actually very bright and had very good color, AND moonlights that were too bright.

Had to change bulbs every year, etc.

I went to LED's!! I've got a post about them- never change bulbs again!- well not for 15 years anyways.

5. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Will you put up a picture and Maybe we can give you some better ideas.

6. 0HaleNo

0HaleNo Astrea Snail

Will post pic soon.
    Had the other built into the H frame. This one is a uni-molded unit. Not made so you can build it into a stand... :(
    The color of light has really grown on me. Much nicer than the 20000.