Warning about matted file fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Sataly, May 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

As everyone knows, filefish are generally semi reef safe. Matted are known to sometimes attack aiptasia and corals even at times. what I witnessed is something I wish I never had. Earlier today I noticed my chromis trio we're hiding a lot more then usual but didn't think anything of it nd did my usual morning check up. I noticed of the I guess female had frayed fins. no biggie I thought, might be the male just doing his thing to her or a carb got to her at night. went about my day and what not then ca me back home to check on it and noticed the dorsal fins are gone now! my thoughts were that the male was just really going after her and trying to chase her put of the trio but I noticed my filefish this morning and at thst time kinda staying close by the chromis and thought it was kinda odd. so I sat and watched the tank for literally an hour. what I noticed was the filefish was literally trying to tear apart the chromises, even the big male! it just happened to get a hold of the female and I fear she may not make it through the night. /: netted the file fish out when the lights were off for about an hour and now sitting in the he sump waiting to be taken to the LFS. :(

Edit. May 16 profanity removed. Corailline

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

That stinks Sataly but at least you were able to catch it!

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Goes to show you personalities of fish. My file fish is the most docile fish I have and doesn't bother anyone.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

so sorry to hear about the filefish but glad you caught it and were able to determine the culprit for the fish damage!